Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Web Designer Premium 19 vs Web Designer + ?

With my Xara version, which I just bought in May, I discovered that I can't add any eCommerce Paypal or other widgets and am informed I have to subscribe to the Web designer + for about $100/year. Not too happy about this... Is this functionally the same as my version so I don't have to go through another learning curve and will it import my current, multi page 19 site with no problems?

I would like to see a working version of a PayPal eCommerace shopping page before I start investing even more money in this web designer. Can someone give me a link to one so I can see what I will get?

Also, it describes having to switch to Microsoft Edge, is that just for viewing the changes created as you work or does it effect anyone visiting my site that has the new widgets working for eCommerce sales.. would they be prevented from using a Paypal widget or other one to buy something if they are using Firefox or some other browser instead of MS Edge?

Thanks,
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Default Re: Xara Web Designer Premium 19 vs Web Designer + ?

Quote Originally Posted by doane View Post
    With my Xara version, which I just bought in May, I discovered that I can't add any eCommerce Paypal or other widgets and am informed I have to subscribe to the Web designer + for about $100/year. Not too happy about this... Is this functionally the same as my version so I don't have to go through another learning curve and will it import my current, multi page 19 site with no problems?
    I would like to see a working version of a PayPal eCommerace shopping page before I start investing even more money in this web designer. Can someone give me a link to one so I can see what I will get?
    Also, it describes having to switch to Microsoft Edge, is that just for viewing the changes created as you work or does it effect anyone visiting my site that has the new widgets working for eCommerce sales.. would they be prevented from using a Paypal widget or other one to buy something if they are using Firefox or some other browser instead of MS Edge?
    Thanks,
    doane, you have raised a number of points that I think are incorrect.
    You do not have to subscribe to any Xara+ product to access these widgets.
    Here is a page of a later guide https://www.xara.com/uk/widgets/365/...dd%20to%20Cart but it works for XWDP and shows what you get for all the PayPal widgets.

You TG Profile indicates that at some point you had XWDPv15.
    Did you ever used the PayPal widgets with this or any later product?
    If so they will be available somewhere on your local drive. We can discuss how you can get a hold of them.

Before that, are you saying you cannot use OCC > Components > Print & Web Components > eCommerce to access these widgets?
    If so, can you use the OCC at all?

It is possible that you have run foul of failing to fully install your XWDP.
    You should Run as Administrator, the once and cold boot your machine.
    Also, i hope you are not using Internet Explorer as your default browser.
    It is obsolete and a security danger zone. PayPal and other worthies will block any IE access to their sites for that reason.
    Do advise.

Internally in XDPXv19, I think, Xara not longer uses an IE instance.
    If it still does then this may be why you cannot access the widgets.
    You mentioned a MS Edge switch. This should be for the use of MS Edge over IE.
    A check is to check your Apps & features for Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime.

Once rendered, your website is viewable form any modern browser.
    You do not have to switch to a subscription for Xara Web Designer+.
    If you did, your XWDPv19 design would be fully compatible.
    Xara has an extremely good track record of achieving backward compatibility.

Acorn

Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have had WD Premium 10, 11, 15 and now 19. This is the first time I have tried to set up a PayPal widget. All the other Components I have imported seem to work fine. On line I got the three Paypal widgets to show up in my eCommerce folder, see the attached screen shot for the results when I try to import them, starting with the Add to Cart button. It doesn't look like the link you gave me. I also included a screen shot of my "About" screen.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap1067.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	133067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap1064.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	133068
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

I also get this message when I try to import the buttons from the online content.
    I quit using IE years ago. I now use Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by doane View Post
    I also get this message when I try to import the buttons from the online content.
    I quit using IE years ago. I now use Firefox
    You missed the point that Xara was using IE internally regardless of your chosen environment.

I asked if you had Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime.
    I do hope you have Run as Administrator.

Clearly, you need to contact Xara with this as your set-up is wrong somewhere.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    You missed the point that Xara was using IE internally regardless of your chosen environment.

I asked if you had Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime.
    I do hope you have Run as Administrator.

Clearly, you need to contact Xara with this as your set-up is wrong somewhere.

Acorn
    I tried to dl and install the Webview2 Runtime and it states that it is already installed.
    I ran the program as an administrator and tried to import the PayPal widget and I get the same popup window above.

Acorn: Do you have an earlier version of XWD Premium?
    With XWDP 19 you apparently you do have to upgrade to the subscription base version called XWD Plus now in order to use the PayPal widgets. It's about $120/yearly now.

I am going to see if I can get the code from the PayPal website and paste it into a placeholder; if I understand it that might work. I really don't need all the templates, etc. on Xara, which is available with subscription updates.

@doane, I do not have v19 but I believe that all earlier versions still work but PayPal might complain that you are using IE.

My techie solution has been to prefix the URL in the XWR file with microsoft-edge:.
    You get a blank pop-up and an MS Edge view into the widget creation. Copying code from the MS Edge on and then pressing insert in the original Xara pop-up wrapper.
    This is not perfect as the new PayPal buttons do not render in the Xara (also IE) Preview window, which confuses and frustrates.
    It is actually far easier to access PayPal directly, Copy Code and Paste into your own Placeholder.

I imagine that Xara has used the URL redirect in v19 to market the need to go Xara Plus, exploiting the fact Xara has not changed its underlying reliance of IE.
    This is now fixed in Xara Plus but is is not a valid reason to force people to go down the Xara plus route.

Magix might offer the required fix in a later version.

Quite a run around.

Acorn