Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Editing a pdf is freezing Xara

Hi,

I am using Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.0.64291, everytime i try to import an architectural plan pdf file with 1mb to edit it, it takes about 5 minutes to select few lines to delete them and freezes Xara.
    I am using a laptop with core I7 -7700 HQ, @ 2.8 GHz (8 CPUs), 32GB RAM page file 28654MB used , 8552 MB available

Is it a hardware issue, any suggestions ?

Thank you for your support
    Gaf

Default Re: Editing a pdf is freezing Xara

You are running a better system than I am and I open large engineering drawings of 9.9MB so I don't think it is an issue with hardware. However when trying to make changes it can take awhile for Xara to do the procedure depend on the amount of objects in the file.

I have found that some CAD programs when they make a PDF file, the file will have a very large number of nodes and shapes because they don't make one shape for an object. Text can be a real pain in some of these files.

I have a file that has 14 pages of drawings. On one page it has 174 layers because of the way the CAD program exported to PDF the various text labels on the drawing. All dash lines are individual pieces and not one line.

I would look at the amount of objects in the drawing.

Ray

That's exactly what i meant it was exported from Auto Cad, do you think there is a better way to edit such files saving all that time ?

Gaf, try locking or even hiding all the Layers apart from the one you are working on, e.g., changing text.
    If you need to edit elsewhere, a quick unhide/unlock might then be needed.

If you know what is unchanging then select all across their layers and then Group.
    Everything static is then in one Layer, making it easy to lock/hide.

If you have a clutch of lines for a given shape, then Select them and press Join Shapes (Ctrl+J).
    The shape is quicker to render and easier to move.
    If they are already Grouped then Ctrl+J makes the group a lines a single line.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

It is also possible that v19.0 does not have the fix that addresses:
    • "PDF import very slow due to text used as clipping path. Fixed. P9052-14282".
    • "Very slow PDF opening due to excessive rectangle conversions. Fixed. P9052-15753".
    • "Performance improvements so some large PDFs will open quicker.".
    • "Slow import of PDFs with very large numbers of colors. Fixed. P9052-16186".
    • "PDF Import: Reconstruction of shape outline and shape fill into single shape. P9052-18837".

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gaftalik View Post
    Hi,

I am using Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.0.64291, everytime i try to import an architectural plan pdf file with 1mb to edit it, it takes about 5 minutes to select few lines to delete them and freezes Xara.
    I am using a laptop with core I7 -7700 HQ, @ 2.8 GHz (8 CPUs), 32GB RAM page file 28654MB used , 8552 MB available

Is it a hardware issue, any suggestions ?

Thank you for your support
    Gaf
    Hi Gaf,

Could you please reach out to us at https://www.xara.com/contact-us/? We would like to review your file.

Kind regards,
    Matt
    Xara

are the lines actually lines.. or are they shapes [in the shape of a line]

one thing you can try if they are shapes is to remove the outlines

on occasions I used to get complex vector PDF and they were shapes but each imported with an outline of 0px which really slowed things down

but it may not apply to what you are doing...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gaf, try locking or even hiding all the Layers apart from the one you are working on, e.g., changing text.
    If you need to edit elsewhere, a quick unhide/unlock might then be needed.

If you know what is unchanging then select all across their layers and then Group.
    Everything static is then in one Layer, making it easy to lock/hide.

If you have a clutch of lines for a given shape, then Select them and press Join Shapes (Ctrl+J).
    The shape is quicker to render and easier to move.
    If they are already Grouped then Ctrl+J makes the group a lines a single line.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

There are no much layers the problem is that there are many objects instead in the plan, hundreds of circles, dots, lines, shapes etc... probably that's how Autocad exports to pdf.
    Even if i try to select several shapes to join it takes much time for example there are over 1400 objects on one layer of a plan of 7cmx17cm, i even had bigger schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It is also possible that v19.0 does not have the fix that addresses:
    • "PDF import very slow due to text used as clipping path. Fixed. P9052-14282".
    • "Very slow PDF opening due to excessive rectangle conversions. Fixed. P9052-15753".
    • "Performance improvements so some large PDFs will open quicker.".
    • "Slow import of PDFs with very large numbers of colors. Fixed. P9052-16186".
    • "PDF Import: Reconstruction of shape outline and shape fill into single shape. P9052-18837".

Acorn
    You may be right and may solved if Xara is upgraded but not for now.Thank you anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by MB365 View Post
    Hi Gaf,

Could you please reach out to us at https://www.xara.com/contact-us/? We would like to review your file.

Kind regards,
    Matt
    Xara
    Hi Matt,
    I just submitted that but would you please reply how to upload the file on that page or send it by mail? Thank you