Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MS Expression Graphic Designer CTP

I often use Expression 3 because some of its features are very useful to me.
    I own the version 3.3 beta, it was free of charge and still works fine.

As I am looking for an improved version, I recently tried MS Expression Design 3 but felt that it was a downgrade (most of interesting features present in version 3.3 are are not present in Expression Design 3).

I would like to try Expression Graphic Designer CTP (released in 2006), as it looks interesting, but never found it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ExportingToXamlFromAcrylic.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	133319

Does someone have a link to this software, and is it an improved or a backward version compared to 3.3 beta ?
    The same could apply to MS Expression Design 1 & 2 but I guess that they were backward versions.
    Thank you very much.
    Last edited by tryphon4; 30 January 2023 at 07:48 AM.

Default Re: MS Expression Graphic Designer CTP

There is no improved version of the Expression 3.3 beta which was the last Creature House verion before they sold the program to Microsoft

All the subsequent Microsoft releases are basically a different program, despite having the same name and some similarities, which is why you are noticing missing features etc

Microsoft discontinued the program some time ago
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I checked and, as you may well have found out, the official download from Microsoft for Expression Graphic Designer CTP is no longer available

If you find another link from another source I would advise caution and making absolutely sure you trust it....
    Nothing lasts forever...

c'était rapide mon ami...

E3.3 beta tends to crash above 1920 x 1080 resolution, does this ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Perhaps I have an answer or two:

I participated in the Microsoft version to come after 3.3. It was terrific, and in Microsoft's traditional style, they screwed it up beyond belief when it was finally released. They had terrific new features such as HSV jitter, so recursive objects you draw will be just a touch different than the previous.

It's hard if not impossible to find the Creature house Expressions v 3.3. Last I knew, if you nosed around Microsoft's site, you might find it.

I'm still using 3.3 because there ain't a feature in MS's release that isn't in 3.3 except perhaps the Microsoft release has a dumb interface.

I'm more than a little pissed off that they has a wonderful version up to the night of the release, and then ruined it, especially because I had a book written, ready to publish, but couldn't because the UI changed.

But I'm running Windows 10 at 1440px progressive and aside from some wonky palette placements when you try to move them, all's good with this ancient program that has not been surpassed in its niche.

Oh, and 3.3 can still import a Xara clipboard copy as vectors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Expression 33.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	133321

My best,

Gary
    Last edited by Barbara B; 30 January 2023 at 06:46 PM. Reason: I mispelled my own friggin' name

Hi tryphon,

The link you put in a post here is against our rules—which you really should have read while you were signing up for TalkGraphics. Until you are seen by the Admin as a new member who has the intentions of being a tg contributor.

You're off to a bad start. I've looked at all your eight posts—this one is the most egregiously re-direct, and you've shared questions and products other than Xara, and although this is a char area, you've taking the time and expertise from other members, but contributed nothing except the unreliable link one of our Mods removed.

Pleas post something the next time you're around tg, or I'll be forced to either restrirct or delete your account, something I don't usually care to do.

But tg is run by over-worked volunteers, and if you bring nothing but baggage to tg, we must throw your baggage off the train.

Regards,
    Barbara Bouton, Administrator.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

cheers Gary - I did not know about MS changing tack at the last minute, I thought they had always intended for the released version
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon4 View Post
    This morning, I finally found Expression Graphic Designer 2006 CTP on a reliable website.
    There is a drawback: in order to use it, you must go back to 2006.

Compared to 3.3 beta, there are some interesting new functions (e.g. the Variations window is hugely useful to me, the interface is better, the zoom goes to 128x) so eveything is fine. I will keep both versions, they are a good complement to Xara.
    CROSS-POSTED with @Barbara B

Sorry to burst your bubble but in Post#1 you ask for a source, which by Post#4 you magically find one. Sorry but TG cannot condone offering links to media that have no provenance other that the originator. In any case, resetting your machine to 2006 is not viable. By all means have a virtual machine running it but overall this is a clutch of exploits waiting for a sucker.

@Gare, I would love a Xara Export SVG to Clipboard utility.
    Presently, I Preview > Dev Tools > copy SVG fragment > Paste into Boxy SVG that I pay for annually.
    I can also do the same into Affinity Designer2 where is imports as a Windows Meta File.

Perhaps someone can describe its capabilities?

Wikepedia has a link to a Fan Site that offers Expression Design 4, but again at your own risk.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

and the software I talked about is dead so there is no risk
    you miss the point - if the software is 'dead' then you can only download it from a third party who may have added things to the installer that you really don't want on your computer; a security risk
    Nothing lasts forever...

you cannot delete - only mods can

the rules were given to you when you joined - you did not read/keep them? - mods again could point you to them again

I make no judgement on the website you linked to, but the question is always, if this service is provided at no cost, how is it paid for?
    Nothing lasts forever...