Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Import text into an Xara document retaining its links?

I may know the answer to this but just in case I think I am a lot wiser than I am here goes.
    I have a website that was created by a database and mailmerging the data into a book form. I would prefer to use Xara to produce it (http://www.pigsear.org.uk/2017guide.html) in a better and easier to update style. The problem being that every entry, and there are about 1,000 of them have a link to a map. Is there a way of importing the data and the links? I have tried Import from web address without success. Of course selecting all and pasting also does not work.

Is there a way of importing text into an Xara document retaining its links?
    Designer Pro 17.1.0 60742 DL my upgrade ended last March.

Lightbulb Re: Import text into an Xara document retaining its links?

Keith, I think you have to accept the whole approach has to be a major re-edit.

With that in mind, create a blank design page and place an empty text area to almost fill the page.
    In the bottom right, select Automatically create new pages.

From your website, select all, paste into the Text Area and accept Unformatted text.

You will end up with something similar to: CAMRA - East London & City Guide.xar

I also accessed your website and mapped out all its links: CAMRA Links.zip - HTML file zipped.

What I tried with this was saved into MS Word and then used this in a Xara Import.
    As I have XPro+ it even offered to convert the MS Word table into the new Xara table format: CAMRA Links.xar
    I assume if you do not have XPro+ or the new Xara Plus products you will end up with a collection of Grouped sections.
    The point being the links imported across.

Enough for you to work with.

The principle to work to is to try and get your information better structures with Tab-Separated data so you can make Excel/Word tables for import.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Import text into an Xara document retaining its links?

Keith, I should have said that if you select all from the website and paste directly into MS Word all links are retained.
    Then if you Import into a Scroll A4 website in Xara all appears there too.
    The only downside is Xara chokes if the DOCX is too big so you need to chop it into Postal District chunks.

In checking the Streetmap links you currently have, most fail with a 404 error.
    It suggests you use https://streetmap.co.uk/postcode/<postcode>.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Import text into an Xara document retaining its links?

Thanks Acorn that is a great help and something to work on.