Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Make files unavailable online

Been a long while since I've been on ...
    But quick question - short of simply removing (deleting) files and folders from the server, suggestions on a way to disable a website (client not paid) which could then be changed easily if they do make payment?
    Change file permissions? change mapping of the domain?

In the past I've just deleted files and republished later if they do pay. But the site has been up a very long time and there's a lot on the server I'd rather not delete if not necessary to then give myself more work if I need to get it back on

Default Re: Make files unavailable online

Megg - This post is in non-Xara publishing which is the reason for the delay.

The simplest thing might be to rename the index file, index.old. And then if you get paid rename the index page as it was before, either index.htm or index.html

But wait for someone who knows what he is talking about to comment.

I moved this to Xara Web Publishing forum.

Megg, the safest but requiring good guidance is to use CPanel > Files > Directory Privacy when you are using CPanel: https://docs.cpanel.net/cpanel/files/directory-privacy/.
    An clearer example of the steps is https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-...ory-in-cpanel/.

Failing that it would be additions to the .htaccess file and the need to create a .htpasswd file manually.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks - I'd not considered .htpasswd as an option.
    Thanks both - you've been helping me out with ideas for a good 10yrs now!

I would replace the index.htm with my file where it will say that the hosting is temporarily disconnected.

P&G 10, 11, 15; XWD Premium 11,15; XDPX 15.1; XDPX 18.5; XDPX 19; XBuilder;

Quote Originally Posted by Spamiky View Post
    I would replace the index.htm with my file where it will say that the hosting is temporarily disconnected.
    That leaves you with the republishing and the the problem everything else is still published and could be "lifted".

More useful is to set all page layers to Hidden and republish.
    Then (almost) no detail is altered in the design and can be made visible and republished again.
    If really paranoid, try setting the design page to 50x50px. You may get a touching SVG or fragments of text.
    You then have to include the Variants; a thing most overlook.

Controlling access is better.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Of course, I meant that the original index is just renamed.

P&G 10, 11, 15; XWD Premium 11,15; XDPX 15.1; XDPX 18.5; XDPX 19; XBuilder;

Quote Originally Posted by Spamiky View Post
    Of course, I meant that the original index is just renamed.
    Thanks for clarifying. Everything is still accessible though.

If you are accessing the server directly then just change the top-level folder name or move all to a non-publishing area.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 27 September 2022 at 05:08 PM.

Well, if you published a new home page and leave all the other files as is, then the new home page could contain the message Temporarily Unavailable and have no navigation and no links. Just a simple image.

Then if Megg is lucky enough to get paid, then reinstate the original home page.