Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Updated then slowed to a crawl

Hi

Feeling very depressed. It has taken me all evening to make a graphic that should have taken about half an hour. I allowed the system to update Xara. (XDP+ not cloud). After that, the program slowed to nothing. I have been waiting for every graphic to load. Waiting for each press of the arrow to move the graphic. Waiting for everything. It's like 1995 all over again. One weird thing is that the system seems to be waiting to draw wireframes first before it moves the graphic or is that just because everything is so slow that I am becoming aware of normal things that happen that are never apparent at full speed? Have checked everything else I can. The system (win 10 on a fast machine) is clean. Reporting itself well. No other program is running slow. Task manager not reporting anything weird. Xara seems to be wanting and using more memory to go at this snail's pace. The fan is roaring a lot. Never normally needs to even for labour intensive tasks. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Yes, I can raise a ticket but I have a deadline now. PS I have rebooted many times. Resaved it many times. Taken almost everything out of the file - there is almost nothing in it. I am all out of ideas.

Thank you.

Default Re: Updated then slowed to a crawl

HI,
    strange. usually its the other way. other progs make me depressed.
    can you share the xar file?
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

if you start a new file totally from scratch does this still happen ? - if not then your original file has probably got corrupted, you may be able to copy stuff across from the old to a new file but no guarantee...

if it still happens then maybe the update corrupted the program - you are probably correct in saying the slow speed of graphic rendering lets you see stages you don't usually; the roaring of the fans could be high CPU or Graphic card usage, but this would show in the task manager I would have thought...

since every other program is ok not sure what else it could be, although it is possible that you have a hardware fault on your drive at the position where the xara program is written, so it is worth checking the disk for faults just in case
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Following any update issues, you should perform a cold power off and on again and run the XDA as Administrator.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

good practice generally to do that, agreed
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...