Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push Objects.

Default Push Objects.

Is the 'push objects' not available within a Xara print document (as opposed to a web document)? There is nothing in the Help files to say it isn't, yet on selecting an object by Right Clicking there is no Push option within a print document.

Secondly, within a web document selecting Push & then Help leads to the colour line help page.

Can someone kindly confirm this?

Xara Designer Pro+ 22.1.0.65105 SL x64 Sep 2 2022
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	132778  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 20 September 2022 at 10:45 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Push Objects.

AFIK it's a web only feature.

It sure looks that way Gary but the Help file should make this clear which it doesn't at present. Why can't it be made available on a print document? Perhaps it would interfere with the print documents height??

Can you confirm the Help button leading to the Colour Line help page please?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@Egg +1.

Help is wrong.

Prior versions did not have context menu option for Push for Print docs.

It only works for Web/Presentation. if you switch to Print, it stops.

I stay in Web documents because of this. I don't see what Print docs offer that is different.

Push Objects is needed in Print too!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Push Objects is needed in Print too!
    I disagree. A web page is flexible. It can be as short as one screen or it can extend downward indefinitely. Maybe all the way to China.

A print document is a specific size that cannot be extended beyond the dimensions of the print size.

Xara does have the ability (I use this when I am producing a book), to add new pages when the page is filled with text. This essentially is a push type feature and maybe the answer to your suggestion.

Automatically create new page and the tracking adjustments are the two main reasons I swim against the current and use Designer Pro+ to produce books. (That and laziness)

Gary, text extension into a new page is a feature of the fixed sized Text Area. Pushing Objects ensures each never overlaps, it need not affect the page height.

Off to check.

Acorn

UPDATE
    An object that has Push Objects set will extend the page when stretched or dragged onto the bottom.
    For Print, you just lock the page size.
    Last edited by Acorn; 21 September 2022 at 01:34 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by acorn
    I don't see what Print docs offer that is different.
    well if you never make web documents at all, ever, a print document disables a lot of stuff that might just get in the way...

I mean:

Pushing Objects ensures each never overlaps
    in a properly designed print file how would that ever occur in the first place ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Push Objects

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    well if you never make web documents at all, ever, a print document disables a lot of stuff that might just get in the way...
    handrawn, why should I have to learn what a Print subset of operations offers when I can be more fluid with a the fuller set that web affords?
    Print remove Push and Web Properties yet retains Web Animation & Web Sticky/Stretchy - the Document type does not make the context menu more print orientated.

There are times that 'Repel text under' (non-left justification) or Embed Object fail and you have to revert to linked Text Areas. Butting these back together without Push leaves a lot of alignment to chance.

The yellow blob highlights the mess Repel can make: Xara - Full Justify with Repel under.xar.
    Each letter in the words on the right of the blob are rendered as individual letters in Preview.
    In a PDF you get the letters padded with a space:
    Qui in officiaconsectetur nulla eu amet, sit e l i tamet culpa non adipisicingtempor. Reprehenderit autelaboris excepteur lorem veniam mollitin dolore lorem ullamco elitadipisicing commodo consequat i nirure quis. Nostrud excepteurofficia exercitation id? Dolorpariatur sint sed ut!Adipisicing, ut id deserunt nondolore ipsum sed dolor seddolore dolor. Non ad duis anim s e desse ea consequat lorem utaliquip ea irure deserunt fugiat mollitlaboris veniam eiusmod.Exercitation cillum dolore in culpadolore sint cillum mollit, nullaaliqua qui.Eiusmod est consequat lorem e l i tproident incididunt reprehenderit.
    A disaster in my book (or anyone else's).

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    in a properly designed print file how would that ever occur in the first place ?
    handrawn, I managed 45 technical authors at one time. Our documentation was for print and there was a lot of formatting of text, tables, figures and images against exacting specifications for layout. They and I would have wholeheartedly picked a Push option over hours of reformatting.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 21 September 2022 at 01:32 PM.

thank you for that acorn

you have convinced me to stay with affinity publisher for actual 'documentation' documents because it is designed for such and xara is not

as for leaflets etc I still see no reason to learn stuff I don't need; I did not aski you to learn a new set of operations, I queried why i should when I don't need them.. and i think the question has been answered...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Xara's XDAs have features that other products lack. The trick is to finesse its limitations and know what they are.

Acorn