Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon wip

I thought I might have another go at that Dragon I tried a while ago [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon-wip.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	2066  

I thought I might have another go at that Dragon I tried a while ago [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.

Nice start, I like the look. There is just one thing. The fins on the back of the head do not seem to part of the head. That is the one thing I do like about cinema. In rhino you could blend these into the head and make it one surface.

Of course with texturing you can hide alot of this.

--Randy

Ya I agree Randy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ,I was never really happy with the fins,and they use quite a bit of memory,so I will be more than happy to chuck them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

The front view is delicious.

About the fins: I am just starting with C4DArt now, and I am shure that it is possible to make the fins part of the skull.

Bizarre: I just started a drawing for an exhibition in Nürnberg, Germany on the Apocalyps, and me too I started with the Beast with seven horns...funny.

Erik,

What I was reffering to was blending the fins into the head to produce a nice curved joint. Right now the fins are(and look like it too) just stuck into the head. No smooth transition from fin to head.

In cinema you can make the fins part of the head by using the connect feature. But you will still have the sharp joints. You could rebuild the joints by hand, but would take a long time and be tedious to boot.

Cinema needs some fillet/blending tools. I like Cinema very much, it is just I find a few modelling tools lacking. Especially coming from Rhino which has very good modelling tools.

--Randy

Randy,

I don't even call myself a beginner, and it is much appreciated that you warn me (us) for this black hole in Cinema's toolbox.
    It's just that I would never mind working longer on something untill it pleases me. And because I can't spend another $?? on Rhino, Cinema will have to do. As you wrote earlier: you can hide a lot with Bodypaint, textures etc

I've also noticed that Poser images often have serious errors at the joints (elbow!) and muscles protruding where they shouldn't be, especially on the back and into the raised arm.

And about the missing tool: why not write to Maxon? They might put it in version8 (sigh)...

Another question: do you start from sketches, or do you start modelling like in clay (but with the symmetry activated)?
    I mean, and correct me if I'm wrong: you can select and drag the fins out, or use magnets, just like in real clay?

For modelling Erik I generally start with a box primitive and crank up the sub division {segments} that way I have a lot of points too work with.I then generally use the magnet tool on the polys or points by locking one axis etc and pushing and pulling,and also just using normal selections as well.I also use splines quite a lot as well,thoughthe fins on the Dragon are splines mixed with instances Erik [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers

Stu.

Erik,

Maxon is well aware of the wishes to add to their modelling tools. Maxon is a great company, and have a great product.
    I am looking forward to the growth of Maxon's product.

I only have been using 3d software for about 1 year. But I have been fortunate to have been exposed to several products. (legally) I own Rhino and Cinema and they make a great combo.

But if I could only have one, it would have to be Cinema.

--Randy

Some tweaks in BP 3d wouldnt go a miss either [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ......I just spent twenty minutes ripping my Dragon mesh apart and set it up for cylindrical mapping {uvw was crap} and I added quite a bit of canvas room too move the mesh,I got the point where I almost had it sorted and I added just a little bit more too the bottom and I ran out of memory,which was not a problem,but what was a problem was that when I repeatedly clicked ok to go back to BP 3d again the stupid little ok window would pop up again over and over,I couldnt get rid of it no matter what I did,in the end I had too force quit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] , and lose the last twenty minutes work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img].I thought I had better mention it as you use BP3D as well, andso does Erik.

I had some very nice polys already on top of the Dragon head to mess about with so I have no idea why I used splines instead
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Stu.