Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problems when opening Xara + connection

Hello to all

I am a long time user of Xara Designer Pro. I stopped at version 11 of the software, because what it offers is enough for me (and I haven't noticed any drawing tools improvement since, maybe I'm wrong?)

But I'm continually annoyed by the update window that always opens at startup no matter what I do, and this for 7 or 8 years!

Worse, I noticed recently, following connection problems, that the software no longer works (no longer opens, more exactly) as soon as there was no active connection. Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more common in my region.

Are there any solutions to all of this? I would like to completly disconnect from the web, but it is really possible?
    Stéphane
    Graphisme, illustrations & Webdesign - France
    creavisa

Default Re: Problems when opening Xara + connection

Stéphane, you are fortunate that the Online Content Catalogue remains active and available for XDPXv11.
    That said when I open mine, I too get 504 Server errors:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	504.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	132719

You have to persevere through this for a time and then you should be able to access the Online Content with Insert > From Content Catalogue.
    If you can do this then you can go to your Designs gallery and right-click on all the blue folders in turn and pick Download All.

Once you have down this, you can consider disconnecting from Internet access.
    To do this, open
    C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X11 and rename the Online to Online - Disconnected.
    This means you probably can still access the Catalogue but the nags should disappear.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Stephane,
    This is what I did for my Xara Pro Version 11 and it works. I am running Windows 10. Go to the Windows Defender Firewall and and add a rule to block Xara11 from the Inbound Rules and one for the Outbound Rules. When you set up the rule you have a choice what program to block. Just scroll to the Xara executable file and choose it when setting up both. Of course this will block access to any online content. But if you do not have a need for that, it will work fine for blocking any startup nags.
    sunland

I thank you two for your answers, and will see for these advice in the evening
    Stéphane
    creavisa

Sunland - Where are you in New Mexico?

I am in Albuquerque, Gary.
    sunland

Quote Originally Posted by sunland View Post
    Hi Stephane,
    This is what I did for my Xara Pro Version 11 and it works. I am running Windows 10. Go to the Windows Defender Firewall and and add a rule to block Xara11 from the Inbound Rules and one for the Outbound Rules. When you set up the rule you have a choice what program to block. Just scroll to the Xara executable file and choose it when setting up both. Of course this will block access to any online content. But if you do not have a need for that, it will work fine for blocking any startup nags.
    sunland
    It works great. Thank to you two
    Stéphane
    creavisa