Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Default Difficulty with Xara FTP publishing

Is anyone else having FTP errors? I can often get link-up by trying to publish multiple times but often just publish to HTML and then use FileZilla to upload the changed files.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTP error.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	132694
    Last edited by Windjamer; 01 September 2022 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling, image

Default Re: Difficulty with Xara FTP publishing

I have had a lot of problems with two old sites that I am publishing to new accounts on NameCheap. I was finally able to get both to publish but it was not easy and being in the classification of The Elderly ensures that I will never remember how I did it.

My memory is that I tried the most simple and obvious approach and somehow it worked.

Sorry. I know this is not helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I have had a lot of problems with two old sites that I am publishing to new accounts on NameCheap. I was finally able to get both to publish but it was not easy and being in the classification of The Elderly ensures that I will never remember how I did it.

My memory is that I tried the most simple and obvious approach and somehow it worked.

Sorry. I know this is not helpful.
    Discussion is often helpful as it can put one on the right track. As for being classified as Elderly, I had my 80th a couple of months ago, so I'm in the competition for "oldest computer nerd."

My publishing issues are with three Namecheap sites and two on 1&1.com. Two on 1&1.ca are managed with an on-site editing tool, so are published on "Save."

I'm wondering if my Wi-Fi internet connection may be the problem. I'm willing to string the 100' of ethernet cable it would take to create a physical connection, but would be disappointed if that did not resolve the issue.

I suspect, however, that new security protocols are short-circuiting the connection just enough to "trip" it off. If so, I'll just have to keep plugging away, as you did.

Thanks much for the input!

Glen

I was 80 last February. I win.

I think the protocols are tighter now.

These are the settings I used when I transferred a former client to his own NameCheap server. the :21 at the end of the host address specifies Port 21 which is necessary for the security protocol setting.

I decided when I turned 80 that I would get out from all of the websites I was managing. If god forbid anything should happen to me, my wife would not have the slightest idea what to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	namecheap.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	132697  

Unhappy Re: Difficulty with Xara FTP publishing

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I was 80 last February. I win.

I think the protocols are tighter now.

These are the settings I used when I transferred a former client to his own NameCheap server. the :21 at the end of the host address specifies Port 21 which is necessary for the security protocol setting.

I decided when I turned 80 that I would get out from all of the websites I was managing. If god forbid anything should happen to me, my wife would not have the slightest idea what to do.
    My brother-in-law was my original computer guru circa 1979. He's 84 and still with it, though more into data organization than am I. He still spends hours on his computer every day, though pickleball takes up a lot of his time, too. As to quitting, I'm not sure my clients will allow that.

I use :21 or .22 as suggested by the Namecheap techs. They offer no insight into my issue; I don't know if that's political.

My greatest confusion is with publishing protocols I have been using for years (website A), where I will get the error message several times but if I keep telling Xara to publish, it will work. No changes to the protocol. Also, if I'm able to publish easily with FileZilla (website B), why do the same protocols not work in Xara?

My hope was that other users were having the same issue and that Xara might not have an up-to-date FTP engine. It appears, however, that it is only I.
    These observations are with different websites

I'm catching up. I was 79 yesterday. Erik

Quote Originally Posted by EJ View Post
    I'm catching up. I was 79 yesterday. Erik
    ...and will be passing us soon.