Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paste text - always unformatted possible?

Hi,

I am in the process of translating a couple of catalogues made in Xara into three more languages.

I received the translated texts a Word-file. There are a lot of tables and diagrams to translate, so I have to do a VERY large number of copy/paste from translation to document.

On every paste, Xara gives me three options:

Unformatted text
    Rich Text Format
    HTML format

For this project, I almost always need "Unformatted text", so that the original format in my document stays intact.

But it is incredible cumbersome to chose this option hundreds of times, with every single paste.

Is there a way to temporarily ALWAYS use "Unformatted text" without asking?
    But it can't be permanent, for the next project I might need one of the other options as well.

I am running Designer Pro X17

Any ideas?
    Cheers

Default Re: Paste text - always unformatted possible?

@Wolfgang, the simplest would be to copy the entire MS Word document into a text editor and to then copy and paste text from that into your Xara design.

You could also look into Ditto Portable - https://ditto-cp.sourceforge.io; it is a Clipboard Manager.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    @Wolfgang, the simplest would be to copy the entire MS Word document into a text editor and to then copy and paste text from that into your Xara design.
    Acorn
    Sadly not possible or at least not practical.
    Two of the languages are Czech and Slovak which I can't read or understand.
    I need to have the original layout, so I know what goes where.

@Wolfgang, export the MS Word document to PDF. Copy & Paste from PDF into your XDA is plain text and can easily be made form the shown layout.
    You will have to then manage replacing line breaks with a space but quite mechanical if you work from the bottom up.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I agree with Wolfgang. There are always work-arounds but setting a default could be very useful, especially when working on a long document or book.

I've moved this to Dear Xara.

@Gary, I am with you and @behzad who also asked for this a time back.

There are wishes and wants. This is a wish where you await Xara's largesse.
    I was hoping to achieve an outcome with something tangible.

Acorn

Acorn, thanks for your help and suggestions. But as you rightly said, PDF messes with line breaks and I fear this would be way more work and potential for error than doing it the cumbersome way and chosing Plain text all the time.

If it's not possible now, it's not possible at all to me.
    I'd be very surprised if I would ever buy another piece of Xara software. Something really major would have to change there and since it did not happen in the last 25 years I am not holding my breath.

I need unformatted text all the time and use a very simple tray utility, PureText. You copy any text and only have to click the PureText tray icon to have all rich formatting removed. You can also assign a hotkey for this. https://stevemiller.net/puretext

that looks rather useful boy, thanks - I see you can install it on win10 from windows store
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...