Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Trying to recreate this pattern

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    there is a tendancy to overthink here
    there is a pattern that works
    I would trace over the lines on this with vector -job done - right? if not what is wrong with that approach
    sure you can play around with the examples, but having looked at it, I decided simply taking it from the top, afresh, was best....
    handrawn, the pattern you have picked only blends the blue weave and omits the yellow, which is what the OP then asked for. I doubt if a trace could be especially accurate. I took it afresh y resolving the basic repeat block and then combining anew.

Horses for courses.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

sure there is often more than one way
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Here's the best I can achieve atm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export-2.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	132615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	132614  

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 15 August 2022 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Edit- Attached tile.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Lightbulb Re: Trying to recreate this pattern

The tiling asked for is tricky.

I have reduced it to parts that should be easier to take in.

The basic shape I created is an axe head.
    Made from two circles whose centres are top left and bottom right of the bounding box of a middle circle.

A second axe is clone, coloured and rotated 90 degrees to make the repeating pattern.
    Each meeting point is four touching axe heads.

If your repeat this process but bring in the first two circles 20px in both X & Y directions.
    The meeting point now has an almost square gap 20px x 20 px.

This gap can be fill with all yellow and you get a flow left up to right that cuts off the blue flow.
    Make it instead blue and the flow goes right up to left, cutting the yellow flow.
    You cannot have both. You could try alternating colours but any flow will always be truncated.

I have compromised by creating a dart intersection shown once from the four touching triangles.

How you create the rings is up to you but I made mine originally from a blend and avoided any line widths to produce a pure, seamless, repeating pattern that is all SVG.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiling.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	132621

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions!

I really appreciate it. It has given me a lot to think about.

I adopted Gary's suggestion of breaking at points, and managed to make this so far:

Name:	tile7.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	132622

So I'm making progress!

However, as some of you have rightly pointed out, the original pattern is a little weird, and there doesn't seem to be a way to make the blue circles also merge into each-other nicely. I'm still scratching my head about it, and trying to figure out what I want to do.

I do like your interpretation though, Egg! I think in the end, I'll have to do a similar 'interpretation' if the original pattern doesn't come out right. In fact, the pattern is supposed to represent the rolling waves of the ocean (I'm planning to have the blue and yellow two different shades of the same colour).

Thank you handdrawn for your ideas and input. And thank you Acorn for your ideas here too. It makes me smile seeing your name, as it was on an old Acorn A3000 that I first learned about Xara (then Artworks).

you are welcome

just out of interest I processed your tile [1] image to black and white and auto traced it [in inkscape]

it's probably a bit rough and ready to use for real, and it produces discrete shapes rather than concentric circles if that mattered, but the side pieces may be useful guides for manual creation

Name:	auro trace.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	132626

I still think it is important to note that the original tile is not a square - you can squish it to a square and it will still tile, but of course distorts the circles should that matter

Name:	squish square.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	132627

xar file:

auto trace.xar

interesting - I learned a few things on the way
    Nothing lasts forever...

Lightbulb Re: Trying to recreate this pattern

My finalised design:

Name:	Yl&Blu.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	321.0 KB 
ID:	132629

The associated SVG Tile: Yl&Blu Tile.svg
    The SVG has been scaled to 256px square; it requires a colour underneath to act as the line colour.

I just added yellow and blue plugs into the gaps across the design to give an over and under weave.
    In the SVG I then Combined these into the touching coloured arc.

Acorn

Nothing lasts forever...

Like that a lot Acorn, works well. Here it is used as a repeating fill with some celtic under-over shading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acorns-tile.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	132632  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Animated:

LINK
    Egg