Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Resolution scroll-bar issues

I have Xara Pro Designer X

I have created a website for 1920 x 1080 resolution, but the website itself is bigger than that resolution, even though the settings under Utilities-Website Varients, and File-Page Options. You can see what I am talking about here :

cloudassembled.com

The xara file is here :

cloudassembled.com/website.xar

The scrollbar should not be there, and the design is designed to fit to page.

This is driving me up the wall, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Steven

Default Re: Resolution scroll-bar issues

Steven, at a guess you have selected a Scroll website.
    You appear to have no navigation so I imagine that you need to change to a Transition one instead.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I may be wrong , but the way I think of a scroll website is one that you scroll downwards to see the next bits of the webpage(typical website). I think of the Transition website style as a custom xara format that "transitions" from one page to another via button click like a powerpoint presentation.

I think I have a workaround, not my favorite, but workable - I set the page to 1440 resolution, and I am just hacking the edges to go full width. I wish there was a way I could support the actual resolution as pictured in xara, surely its a checkbox or something somewhere....

Steven, I have looked at your design file.

You have a Main and three Variants.
    You have a conventional Website with a single page 1920x6887px.

You do not have Scale to fit width set.

As a result, you will always have a vertical scrollbar.
    This will still occur with Scale to fit width set but your design will not be cropped or have gaps on the sides depending on the browser width.

You have an excess of Variants.
    Their widths are next to useless at (360, 390, 428, 1920).
    Keep Main and prep up just one Variant 960px wide.
    The ensure Scale to fit width is set.

To get rid of the vertical scrollbar, you need to spilt your site into a number of pages 1920x1080px
    Nothing you have done has told Xara to do this.

When you have made this split, you need to have some navigation mechanism.
    The use of Transition sites is one way.
    If you keep a conventional site, you need to add a NavBar or othe linkage.

You have a spurious purple box off-page.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Where is the "scale to fit width" setting?

It doesn't look like I can select "scale to fit width" under website export options with a typical website creation(which is the only one i want). I want it to be a normal website (like yahoo.com, digg.com, etc), not look like a powerpoint presentation or something. With the conventional website selected, the scale to fit width is greyed out.

Info Re: Resolution scroll-bar issues

Quote Originally Posted by stevensoldan View Post
    It doesn't look like I can select "scale to fit width" under website export options with a typical website creation(which is the only one i want). I want it to be a normal website (like yahoo.com, digg.com, etc), not look like a powerpoint presentation or something. With the conventional website selected, the scale to fit width is greyed out.
    You must be using a old product version.

You can achieve what you are after with this but you have to use a 'paged' transition site. This can have the time set very low.

You need:
    • Main design pages all set for content 1920x1080px.
    • A single Variant, if required, with the same page aspect ratio.
    • Scale to fit screen set.

Without this on an upgrade your current approach fixes the page with to 1920px. If a viewer has a narrower browser, you will get horizontal scrolling.
    You current design forces vertical scrolling as you have not split your content into pages.

Acorn