Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I don't understand, do I buy Web designer 19 from magix or Web designer+v22 from Xara

Not that I ever understood the pricing system, but now I'm not sure there's a product to buy or from whom to buy it.... really doesn't give me much confidence as a software tool I can rely upon or trust. I love web designer but what a mess.

Default Re: I don't understand, do I buy Web designer 19 from magix or Web designer+v22 from

It's a hard one. But my experience with Designer Pro+ which is being developed by Xara and Designer Pro X marketed by Magix is that Xara is more current in updates and new features.

So my thinking is Web Designer+

Magix has a whole slew of graphics and photo editing and sound editing products. Xara is focused on Designer and Web Designer and Photo and Graphic Designer.

Default Re: I don't understand, do I buy Web designer 19 from magix or Web designer+v22 from

We created this page to help with questions regarding Why Xara Plus Editions: https://www.xara.com/compare-plusplans/

Yes, it's all quite confusing. I use XDP 19 (Xara's product marketed by Magix). I prefer this product over XDP+ because it comes with a year of free updates rather than Xara's yearly subscription offering meaning that once the year is out, the product will still work rather than stop working completely. It's true that the + version is more current but so far I've been able to live with that.

I'm pretty sure the above is also true for the Web Designer app.

my 2c
    I avoid subscription as a matter of personal preference
    been using v17 for 3 years?
    after 20 with NetObjects (i think the 1st WYSIWG web??)
    for me, Xara little poorly done user manual (but ok)
    . . . .from someone who has written several
    (from Software Apps to how to fly F18 - used military pilots)
    but it does WAY more than needed for Web making *IMHO
    just upgraded to v19 this week - cost $99 as I was not keeping current with update fees
    (did not think was worth it)
    other than not really a TRUE responsive web builder
    I think the program is great as is = hard to know why need to pay more every year
    again IMHO

Info Re: I don't understand, do I buy Web designer 19 from magix or Web designer+v22 from

Quote Originally Posted by MB365 View Post
    We created this page to help with questions regarding Why Xara Plus Editions: https://www.xara.com/compare-plusplans/
    Matt, why does the page then lead you directly to a Xara Pro+ download?

Few might realise the existence of the alternative Xara Plus products that you reach by the Top Menu > Products.
    These are in isolation from each other.

You have to go through the Top Menu > Pricing and then pick Creative Tools.
    Only then can you compare the Plus products most people probably want.

You further confuse by assigning Cloud Pro+ to being both Creative Tool and Cloud Suite.
    To cap it all the page Title remains 'Xara Cloud pricing'.

The real meat of your products is in their comparison: https://www.xara.com/pricing/#plan-details.
    Even here you have to access https://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/compare/ to better understand what is on offer. For one, it uses tick/cross and different colours. For two, it covers more functionality: Illustration and Import/Export.

• Standard editing === Photo
    • Desktop publishing === DTP
    • to === Auto-Fit Text to Shapes

No mention of SVG in Xara Plus!
    You omit the number of Templates available in each product.
    Nowhere is there a difference list between Xara Plus and Magix products, like the missing EXIF functionality.

I suggest a read through https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...e-of-Xara-Plus and confirmation or repudiation should help in customers' understanding.

In the end, you have cut out Magix purchases from your website, mention in passing Magix still sells these but you neglect to link to them.
    Not my definition of being a Partner.

You really have to dig deep to find:

The sorcerer in Aladdin's "New lamps for old!" would have a better marketing campaign than what is currently shown.

Extend the Launch period.

Acorn

P.S. I am a big Xara Plus fan

P.P.S. There will be a Xara Webinar on 04 August when the Launch is due to expire.
    I will wait for it to be uploaded and watch afterwards: https://www.xara.com/webinars/.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by TheeeDragon View Post
    other than not really a TRUE responsive web builder
    Thank you for your thoughts, very useful.

Xara designs have never been Adaptive (dynamic layout changes). By their WYSIWYG nature they have to be Responsive (change at breakpoints).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I choose to go Magix and own the product. I do not care for few minor changes Xara makes. The interface change is one of them that is useless to me. I rather wait a year or two and then repurchase it. Not into subscription base. Xara is a great program do not get me wrong but there are many cheaper and free web building tools out there too. I think what happened with Xara is that they steered away from its original intend and now do a little bit of this and that. Their marketing is all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Web-it View Post
    Not that I ever understood the pricing system, but now I'm not sure there's a product to buy or from whom to buy it.... really doesn't give me much confidence as a software tool I can rely upon or trust. I love web designer but what a mess.
    A starting point might be to look at all the Xara products, both from Xara and Magix. To the best of my knowledge from both websites today this is (hopefully) correct:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara_Magix_Products.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	132543

From a pricing perspective all products provided by Xara are on a subscription basis, monthly or annually; all Xara products provided by Magix are provided on a perpetual licence fee. Xara products from Magix (usually) lag behind Xara's own functionality by up to 6 months. A subscription licence is a right to use the product (or service) for the duration of that subscription; once you stop the subscription you lose the right to use the product (or service) - you can of course re-subscribe in most cases at a later date. A perpetual licence gives you the right to use a product indefinitely. In practical terms a user might choose to upgrade that licence to gain access to new features or support.

Web Designer now longer appears on either website; so the option (as I understand) would be Web Designer Premium (as it is currently named) from Magix, or Web Designer + from Xara - I cannot find a comparison between the two, but my guess is the former lags behind the latter in functionality.

Pricing for each can be found on the respective websites - deals to be had from both vendors for sure.
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Xara Designer Pro+ and Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023

@Gary, possibly completely right but 'perceptual' probably ought to be 'perpetual'.
    Also, generally, do not waste money on Page & Layout Designer 11 it is 32-bit and staler than a BR sandwich.
    I still stand by my pricing assessment Post, https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...e-of-Xara-Plus, above.

Acorn