Steve,

A/B testing really came into being for Email marketing campaigns because it is much easier to configure and control.

The big thing to consider is whether the site has enough traffic to support even doing A/B testing. Google only likes to have the testing done for short period of time and that means you need to have enough traffic to support get any meaningful results.

Now the testing will be done on a landing page that you want to see if changes make a difference on user interaction. But you may find that it is more useful to spend your time working on how you get users to the landing pages. Then once you have a steady larger user base, you then could look at A/B testing to see if site changes will make a better conversion rate.

There are some programs out there that you enter their code snippet into your site and they will do the analytics and redirecting to your variant. Google has one and another one I have looked at in the past is Optimizely. I have never done any type of A/B testing because the sites I work with do not have the traffic to support this kind of testing.

Let us know how you make out on this.

Ray