Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Tasked with making a draw ticket with sequential numbering

This is an interesting one. Our shelter group is giving away a $2000 travel voucher, and they want me to make a ticket. They’ve given me a msWord doc with the information they want on the ticket. Fair enough. No problem so far.
    My problem is numbering the tickets from 1 to 500.

I’m not sure how to approach this. Word, or Excel, or maybe Xara can do it. Naturally I’d liKe to do it in Xara. I could simply construct the ticket and hand number each copy. I’ve posted a screen shot of the information they’ve sent me. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E3685ACA-B23C-415B-883A-68C374D9564B.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	132524
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Tasked with making a draw ticket with sequential numbering

you could do it in word if you have to, using mail merge, but I have not done anything like it for a long time; there are likely better ways, there is a learning curve to mail merge if you have never used it before
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Lightbulb Re: Tasked with making a draw ticket with sequential numbering

Bill, create a Text Column for the number in the top-left corner.
    Give it a ClassName of htmlclass="ticket"
    Clone your 500 tickets in your design.

In the Website HTML Body (code), put:
    Code:
    <script>
    var draw = document.querySelectorAll('.ticket');
    for(var i = 0; i < draw.length; i++) {
        draw[i].innerHTML = ("0000" + (i + 1)).slice(-3);
    }
    </script>
    Getting up to 250 pages to print will be fun.
    Download as PDF returns the pre-code text so is a bust.

JS - Draw Ticket Numbering.xar
    I put lots of numbers on pages just for the sake of it.
    They are mixed up but sequential.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks a bunch @acorn. That’ll work. I’ll mess with it a bit.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you could do it in word if you have to, using mail merge, but I have not done anything like it for a long time; there are likely better ways, there is a learning curve to mail merge if you have never used it before
    Thanks @handrawn. I did fool with mail merge a bit. Constructing anything like this in Word is such a PIA. Just awful. Constructing this in Xara is a breeze with the exception of the numbering thing. The drawing component in word drives one to sub to MS Publisher; again the gates of hell.
    Thanks
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

understandable - I was asked to do mailshots once for a society, usual thing no one else would do it []; took me a week to get my head round it with word, I was sure glad when they did find someone else even though it is not difficult once you get it set up right

it is the numbering with xara sure, that needs to be addressed, you are in good hands with acorn; make sure you future-proof it, ie you construct it in such a way that when you are asked to make 'a small change' you don't have to start all over again...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

In passing, if, and only if, you were able to put one ticket per page and your printer could handle Multiple Pages per Sheet, say for a ticket 6" x 3", then just use Xara's Page Numbering.

Xara - Numbered Tickets.xar will produce a PDF - Xara - Numbered Tickets.pdf.
    I printed its 12 tickets onto 2 x A4 sheets in a 3x2 arrangement with little wastage. Letter paper had a bit more waste.

No code involved.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    In passing, if, and only if, you were able to put one ticket per page and your printer could handle Multiple Pages per Sheet, say for a ticket 6" x 3", then just use Xara's Page Numbering.

Xara - Numbered Tickets.xar will produce a PDF - Xara - Numbered Tickets.pdf.
    I printed its 12 tickets onto 2 x A4 sheets in a 3x2 arrangement with little wastage. Letter paper had a bit more waste.

No code involved.

Acorn
    Now your talkin @acorn. That looks liKe a great solution. This looks like an 8 1/2 by 14 inch sheet. I’m finding that most print shops have a ticket template, and they simply slot in the info. The numbered portion of the ticket is already there. Then they cut and staple. The cutting and stapling, with slight perforations is part of that service. But this looks like a great DIY solution. Thanks.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design