Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Video Playback

Question Video Playback

Hello to all :-)

I came here to this post via search since I have a somewhat "related" problem right now. [https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ideo-playback]

I have on a (test) site with desktop/mobile version 10 self hosted videos in MP4 format.
    This is easy to do via drag n drop with Xara's own media (video player). This runs so far actually everything also quite splendidly.
    However, there is a (rather comfort-moderate) problem:

• On Android smartphone and Chrome mobile (iPhone does not have the problem via Safari) it happens that you can start the video via the play "triangle" but no longer stop.
      Stopping the video is then only possible via the "mini-button" in the lower left corner of the player.
    • This is very uncomfortable because the small button is difficult to "hit". Otherwise everything would run perfectly. Too bad that there is this restriction.
    • On the PC there is the problem so not click in video starts or pauses flawlessly. Now I have the player from the XAR file uploaded in the post of the user "Initiostar" test times used. Since the pause works here perfectly on Android.

However, this player does not bring a particularly "nice" preview something above the control bar "blured" the interface and is completely gone or "uncomplete" player interface.
    Is there actually no solution or workaround that you can start the video via a preview image (video thumb)?
    So where you make a screenshot of a desired scene, and a play icon purely linked and the click then video / player would start.
    Which also has the advantage that you could determine the video thumbnail nicely.

I used to have the other old player with .swf (I found here in TG once ago) in use but I think that makes no more sense today technically.

TomTom
    Last edited by Acorn; 29 July 2022 at 05:47 PM.

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro X 17.1.0.60486 - Issue with Video playback

Addendum: I just see that about the videos with the XARA player on the iPhone no preview image (video thumb) is displayed (but could also be a iOs "protection feature"?) on Android there is a nice preview quickly for all clips in each case. Of course, this is also suboptimal without clip preview image.

Default Re: Video Playback

TT66, I created a new thread for you as the one you Posted in, https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Video-playback, was not directly related.
    I have also paragraphed your Post to help readers.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

T66,

Not 100% sure what you are really after, so let's start with three examples:

The first uses a thumbnail to start a video; it has custom in-play pause, play and stop buttons which can be any design and size. It works (to the best of my knowledge) across iOS, Android and Windows in desktop and mobile formats.

https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/EmbedV...mageplayer.htm

The second example modifies the Xara widget - note if you are using the attributes of autoplay and muted, it must be accompanied by playsinline for iOS - in this example you can have a custom poster that overlays the video.

https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/xara_videoWidget/

In all cases you should be able to pause and restart the video by clicking on the video itself.

The third example explains the use of a standard video tag and how to ensure it works consistently over Apple and Windows devices.

https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/simpleVideo/

Take a look and see whether there is anything here that helps, or upload a design file with the issue you are trying to resolve - most 'challenges' can be overcome.
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Xara Designer Pro+ and Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023

The only wrinkle I can think of is TT66 has flagged XDPXv11, which predates most of the HTML5 introductions.
    This probably involves a bit more coding and avoiding the Xara Player code entirely.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The only wrinkle I can think of is TT66 has flagged XDPXv11, which predates most of the HTML5 introductions.
    This probably involves a bit more coding and avoiding the Xara Player code entirely.

Acorn
    Yes true, I don't have v11 loaded, but let's see if we can nail the requirement - maybe a video tag would still be OK with a poster cover?
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Xara Designer Pro+ and Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023

TT66, I created a new thread for you as the one you Posted in, https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Video-playback, was not directly related.
    I have also paragraphed your Post to help readers.

Acorn

Acorn
    Thanks so far, Acorn ... I updated it to "Xara Designer+ v19" ... in my profile

@Initiostar

Thanks a lot for the great infos! I did not have them on my "radar" as I did longer not have the need for implement some clips. So it is a great info source. The "JS Video Player" is good, did pause and also made preview on iOS what Xara's did not (in my case). So I will do some more tests tomorrow but I think it will be solved so far.

Thanks again to all.

TomTom