Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Re: Should I use Web designer or Wordpress for my site?

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    "Xara has no word search mechanism - clearly this is an important aspect for PicMA to be of use (?q=search/..)"
    Isn't search a browser feature? Is this a search of a page or the entire site? Just want to be clear I understand. Thanks.
    Dan, I tried to explain above that when you hide things in a CMS, a browser search usually fails.

Search is not just for browsers. Most Wikis have a great search mechanism.
    Drupal & WordPress have built-in searches that do a great job but the Hits can be erratic; try for the word 'the'. Will you get Hits for the fragment or the whole word?
    One of the most powerful to play with for free is in TiddlyWiki, a single HTML file that could hold all of the current website and allow complex searches against content, headings, tags, ... .

In the end, it is what fits best.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Should I use Web designer or Wordpress for my site?

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Wordpress has millions of support/plugins and resources. Xara has zilch. Xara is good for simple non database websites.
    behzad, so you don't mind the fragility of the millions of plugins? I have one major plugin for WordPress, it is Wordfence. I now have this as when one of my WP sites was hacked, WP.org was very keen to sort it all out for a lot of cash. WP widgets/plugins and the like require constant updating and monitoring. As a result I aim for flat file databases where there is no third party dependency unless I chose otherwise. The XDA has a number of third party plugins; again, I work out what is best and build my own.
    I would not consider an XDA solution for a full-blown CMS but I do think you have overlooked XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I totally agree with you. At one time all I provided was wordpress websites then like you said the backdoors to hacks were many through free plugins. My conclusion was that nothing free is good. Also now one client that was on xara with me decided to go back to wordpress simply for the SEO plugin yoast. I did warn her but hell, not here to save my clients who are not listening to my advice. About XT-CMS due to myself not taking on any database or ecommerce solutions, I have not delve into it. I rather skip on a client than to bother with ton of issues and workarounds with xara. My solution is to cater to small businesses who want an informative basic solution. There are plenty of providers that deal with CMS, Blogs, Drag and drop etc..

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    I totally agree with you. At one time all I provided was wordpress websites then like you said the backdoors to hacks were many through free plugins. My conclusion was that nothing free is good. Also now one client that was on xara with me decided to go back to wordpress simply for the SEO plugin yoast. I did warn her but hell, not here to save my clients who are not listening to my advice. About XT-CMS due to myself not taking on any database or ecommerce solutions, I have not delve into it. I rather skip on a client than to bother with ton of issues and workarounds with xara. My solution is to cater to small businesses who want an informative basic solution. There are plenty of providers that deal with CMS, Blogs, Drag and drop etc..
    behzad, I also agree but I have found working to make Xara "great again" reveals its many flaws but also gaps in my skillset.
    Were it not for Xara, I would have taken a different course and been the lesser for it.

I treat Xara designs as the front of the shop. Many clients are happy with that.
    Adding a few bells and whistles ensures they don't have to go full postal and get out of their comfort zone.
    I have worked client-side, middleware and backend software as well as hardware across the tiers; few, more knowledgeable, are willing to even think what is possible.
    I push boundaries.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Dan, I tried to explain above that when you hide things in a CMS, a browser search usually fails.

Search is not just for browsers. Most Wikis have a great search mechanism.
    Drupal & WordPress have built-in searches that do a great job but the Hits can be erratic; try for the word 'the'. Will you get Hits for the fragment or the whole word?
    One of the most powerful to play with for free is in TiddlyWiki, a single HTML file that could hold all of the current website and allow complex searches against content, headings, tags, ... .

In the end, it is what fits best.

Acorn
    Thanks for the clarification.

#Acorn very few people have the skillset and knowhow that you do with xara and programming etc..

Wordpress is definitely better for the future. I am currently creating a plugin for wordpress and my experience with this CMS makes me recommend wordpress, but I haven't used other CMS for so long, so I can't compare it qualitatively.

Web designer, as for me Wordpress is a little old age.

I started to promote my site on Wordpress, too. This system gives a fairly simple admin, all the basic features which can be mastered by any beginner. But this is enough for some kind of hastily business card site, personal blog - that's all. Sooner I needed to make payments, but this feature isn`t available here. I`m now wondering how to make a better deal, found an article on web design [LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR], but it requires knowledge of the code, or I might hire a developer, which will cost twice as much. There`re a lot of paid website builders with the necessary payment and mailing functions which I need, but they have no low-budget rates. What can you suggest?
    Last edited by gwpriester; 21 December 2022 at 10:49 PM.

What can you suggest?
    I suggest the next time you try to spam in this forum you will be banished and your email sent to Stop Forum Spam.

That work for you, islamonore?