@slast, Steve, it is great to be able to view a serious website.
It is Drupal 7 generated but a lot could be ported into a Xara design.

The issues that I have noted:
  • Xara has no word search mechanism - clearly this is an important aspect for PicMA to be of use (?q=search/..)
  • PiCMA also uses query expressions in the URL string - ?q=content/..
  • Your current Forum link fails - Xara has no Forum capability.
  • Xara has no User Management for usernames & passwords.
  • PicMA is using an Adaptive presentation - Xara is Responsive.
  • It is unclear what you need in the way of "forms" - I have taken this to be the structured data at the bottom of several articles.

The main lack of PicMA seems to be one of Citation. I personally would expect to see the source material lodged in some global aviation repository that was publicly accessible.

I tried a web search for 'site:http://www.picma.info/ attitude' and got all of one Hit.
Your current Drupal search returns 16 Hits.
The lack of Hits in the first is down to your site being a CMS and the pages are not directly available.
In Xara, I would use an HTML table approach with Datatables.js with columns for your structured data and other columns for Title, Keywords, Citation, Full Description.
This would be best as a standalone page, still part of your site for advanced, detailed searches.
Plainer on-page searches could be met by Keyword & Title wildcard selection of a drop-down form.

I assume the Forum access requires login credentials as it is not anonymous.
I would aim for a standalone Forum for this and not add it to the Xara site directly.

You have around 150 articles.
I would publish these as separate sub-sites. They don't have to be Xara ones as they are very basic. a simple HTML template would afford a continuing Adaptive approach.
I might consider them as a MarkDown design instead. Cleaner for searches as well.

You will have as many challenges with WordPress but it comes with User Management and Searches and your articles fit into Posts very well.
Less overhead but more prone to hackers.

Acorn