Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Default Problems publishing via Xara ftp

Using Web Designer 19, I'm having problems publishing to sites via the built-in FTP. Sometimes it works after several tries, with no changes to specs.

Here's the host name the server tech suggested most recently: ftpes://server63.web-hosting.com. I've also tried sftp. Xara always reports "FTP error. Couldn't resolve host name."

I am able to access the site with all protocols using Filezilla. Thoughts?

Default Re: Problems publishing via Xara ftp

Not sure if this will help but you might try a :21 after the host address to access Port 21
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTPS.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	132494  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Not sure if this will help but you might try a :21 after the host address to access Port 21
    Nope, but thanks for the suggestion. I still ge the same error message.

I do realize that I can Export to a folder as HTML, then transfer via Filezilla. I always have used the Publish option in Xara but I can be more flexible, if forced.

I use NameCheap for hosting, and they use (or are) web-hosting.com too. I set up some new accounts recently and had a hell of a time getting the new settings to work. But I finally did.

Contact support and see if they can help you figure out what is not going right.

I use NameCheap for hosting, and they use (or are) web-hosting.com too. I set up some new accounts recently and had a hell of a time getting the new settings to work. But I finally did.

Contact support and see if they can help you figure out what is not going right.
    Good to hear. Not that you had problems, but that it isn't just me. I'll plug away (with support's help. I know we'll eventually get it to work.

Support notes that my Xara files (in the Public_html folder) have the extension .htm when they require .html. Exact words: "As we can see, your files are .htm, not .html. Please double-check the names of your files."

I EXPORTED the website and Xara automatically appends .htm. Is there a way to change this behavior? If so, I am unable to find it in the manual.

I'm trying this as a work-around for regular Xara publishing, as the bultin ftp doesn't work but Filezilla does. If you have better methods I can try, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Windjamer View Post
    I'm trying this as a work-around for regular Xara publishing, as the bultin ftp doesn't work but Filezilla does. If you have better methods I can try, I'm all ears.
    If Filezilla can upload .htm files, surely the problem you've got isn't that your hosting account only allows .html files? It seems an unlikely restriction from a hosting provider.

Support notes that my Xara files (in the Public_html folder) have the extension .htm when they require .html
    There is no reason for the html extension. The browser looks for an index file and if it finds one, index.htm or index.html it loads the page. The only difference here is index.html takes precedence over index.htm. Even if the index.htm file is newer.

Changing to .html is easy enough however. In Web Properties > Page change the page filename from index to index.html and all pages for your site will be .html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	132512