Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: CSS Buttons

Lightbulb CSS Buttons

I do not like the lacklustre make-over Xara Plus has applied to roll-over buttons: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...a-Plus-Buttons.

I didn't have the time or knowledge Xara has used to built them.
    I have not solved all the issues that I raised the Post against; I constructed my approach in 30 minutes and far longer to document (3 hours).
    You can be the judge.

Here is my alternative take on the roll-over button.

CSS - Button.xar

The design concept is simply have a shape that fades out but still holds the link.
    The shapes underneath are what is displayed on hover.

Xara's original approach was MouseOver and MouseOff and hover over MouseOff reveals Mouseover.
    Xara Plus's new approach is to tightly hold both MouseOff and Mouseover object together on the same layer and include lots of code to achieve the MouseOver effect.
    The new approach is highly inflexible.

My CSS can be as simple as <style> .fade { opacity: 1; transition: 500ms; } .fade:hover { opacity: 0; } </style>.
    .fade is applied to an object with a Name of htmlclass="fade".
    Everything else is common Xara techniques.

Unlike Xara, I have declared the limitations of this approach.
    You can still create a Xara NavBar using you designed buttons but you omit the .fade.
    The .fade object has to be forced into a single image group. Xara needs to be able to deliver such items as SVG and not just PNG/WebP.

I find putting the items with .fade into their own layer (I used !Faders) allows to to toggle preview your designs.

Looking forward to see your take on some snazzy button designs.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: CSS Buttons

Hi Acorn, just read this thread quickly and only looked at at your attached xar file breifly.

I stated on my video recently that I was unimpressed Xara was still creating image files for buttons with it's new buttons. (Apart from making no explanation of the differences).

I honestly believe Xara should be trying to abandon image based buttons by now and creating svg buttons wherever possible.

I'll try and look further into your input later but my house is upside down atm as we're having a new kitchen fitted. (what's worse, a kitchen or a bathroom?)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: CSS Buttons

(what's worse, a kitchen or a bathroom?)
    it depends what sort of alternative arrangements you have in place
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...