Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fair comment.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	319.8 KB 
ID:	132449
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: be careful what you draw

Haha! Mind you, I'd never give any kids any paper that is a almost quid a sheet, either!

Transparent paper though... it's not just Urban Dictionary that doesn't get proofread

bristol I use for character design and layout is about £14 for 50 A3 180gsm...

amazon is full of it, worse than the manchester guardian ever was...
    Nothing lasts forever...

@handrawn, at those prices they are definitely "taking notes" - Pound notes.

20 sheets 11"x14" at 180gsm is just under 360 grams, so £42.60 a kilogram.
    Sheets cheaper than printer ink.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

actually, the bristol in question is 270 gsm, which makes your calculation even worse

I use canson XL 180gsm which is a whole load cheaper, but I only use it for pencil layout, so i don't need that sort of qualitiy

bristol board is specially made for very detailed drawing and to take a lot of erasing - like a lot of things it comes in a wide range, strathmore is considered to be 'the best' traditionally, but that is only a catagory so it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer
    Nothing lasts forever...

... but is it vegan friendly?

I noticed that is a selling point for Fabriano Artistico paper! I've never actually used it but have heard it's good for inking. I'm not knocking the fact it's vegan friendly btw, in fact I think that's a rather nice point and perhaps along the lines we should all be thinking!
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

I have no idea !

I have been known to chew pencils; but paper no.... the sizing usually tastes awful

fabriano, italian as I recall; I used a rough paper of theirs back in the 80's for a while as an alternaive to waterford- thinks: are waterford busicuits vegan... probably not, any more than the paper, but who knows these days

they did make paper that was good for inking, cannot remember which ones they were though but artistico rings a bell... does depend on what you are going to ink with of course

there is a trend to equate vegan friendly with eco friendly; it is not a given
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I have no idea !

I have been known to chew pencils; but paper no.... the sizing usually tastes awful
    LOL

there is a trend to equate vegan friendly with eco friendly; it is not a given
    Good point, nice bit of critical thinking.

they did make paper that was good for inking, cannot remember which ones they were though but artistico rings a bell... does depend on what you are going to ink with of course
    The Fabriano paper I was told about was: Artistico Satinato – hot pressed, traditional white, 300gsm and the inking was being done with technical pens (possibly Rotring Rapidograph), and coloured with watercolours.

Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

I'm not knocking the fact it's vegan friendly btw, in fact I think that's a rather nice point and perhaps along the lines we should all be thinking!
    Perhaps along the lines that anything that does not contain wheat is Gluten Free. Seems like every product on the shelf at the market is Gluten Free. FWIW I only eat products that are gluten rich.

@Gary

in the uk at least tins of tuna contain fish according to the label.... it does sometimes seem label overkill

FWIW I only eat products that are gluten rich
    it's not just wheat that contains gluten, also:

Barley: so I drink a fair amount
    Rye: I eat a fair amount of polish bread; I love chleb prądnicki although sadly cannot the genuine article where I live

@Jono

I gave up watercolour at college nowhere near clever enough; took to pen and ink [dip pens, and the same rotring ink you would put in a technical pen]; at first used rotring art colour with a brush [waterproof translucent ink] and gave grateful thanks when I could port that part of the work to a computer; now I ink on the computer too, just the pencilling done the good old fashioned way...

always prefered NOT to HOT PRESSED or ROUGH as it had some tooth for the pencil but smooth enough for brush - can't remember what the Fabriano equivalent to NOT [ie 'not hot pressed'] I used was but I will have some offcuts in the loft somewhere as well as some crescent bristol I bought in the '90s before it went out of production; may have to seek that out one day if prices get out of hand; cannot get the hang of pencilling on a computer, inking is done slow I can zoom in and out, sketching is done fast and zooming just breaks the flow...

my other half is veggie, tried vegan but gave it up as too much like hard work; no disrespect to vegans we all make choices...
    Last edited by handrawn; 24 July 2022 at 11:03 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever...