Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HTML, CSS, JS

Default HTML, CSS, JS

This is one of those things that won't stay in it's allocated memory slot. This time I'm going to write it and then forget where I wrote it instead.

Using a placeholder to create a comparison slider, but the same applies to most of these things. Where does the following go? Page, Website, Placeholder, Body, Head???

HTML?
    CSS?
    JS?

The example I'm working on >>> Before After Image Slider (Vanilla) (codepen.io) <<<

Default Re: HTML, CSS, JS

Placeholder Body
    Head
    Last

Mostly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

So...
    HTML - Placeholder Body
    CSS - Head (Placeholder, Page or Website?)
    Last - Don't understand this bit at all. Not unusual though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    So...
    HTML - Placeholder Body
    CSS - Head (Placeholder, Page or Website?)
    Last - Don't understand this bit at all. Not unusual though.
    Yes
    Any of them
    JS acts on DOM elements, they have to exist first.

I detailed all this once before. Still looking.

I thought I would try terse for a change.
    It's just lazy as is not capitalising, failing to use punctuation, sentences and paragraphs.

The worst failing is assuming someone is inside your head.
    A statement that can be taken in several ways.

I am still looking...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Got it. The penny dropped.

Yes, I'm sure this has been explained before more than once. It's one of those things that just doesn't stick. Probably because I don't understand how it actually works. I also don't use coding often enough, or diversely enough, to be anywhere near to fluent.

And the penny dropped right off the edge and into oblivion.
    Egg made one that works well, but doesn't have a 'click and drag' feature. I tried to work out what bit goes where and ended up drinking heavily and sobbing quietly.

Egg's version >>> before-after.xar <<<

The one I'm trying (and failing) to make work is from Code Pen, linked in post #1. I've tried numerous combinations of Page Head/Body, Placeholder Head/Body and even staring really hard at Acorn's steps didn't give me a result.

I've pasted the code as it appears on Code Pen, although I realise it can be trimmed. I've also started afresh and haven't placed the code anywhere except where you see it. If anyone can have a look and start the answer with "It's easy, what's wrong with you." I'd be a grateful little member.

>>> Comparison Slider.xar <<<

Hi Chris, finally got it working (apart from the ocassional images getting a blue hue, which was the case on the original too). It took some time to sort though!
    I've also added some additional js that someone posted in the comments section to get it to work with touch screens.
    DEMO

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 23 July 2022 at 07:55 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, I doff my cap to you, sir.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I Doff My Hat.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	132477

I'm sorry you spent more time than you should have on it. Hopefully, you did a little jig and shouted 'Hell yeah' before remembering you aren't 12 anymore.
    Not for the first time, I thank you for freely giving your time, patience and knowledge.

My pleasure Chris, this is always been what this forum is about
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I find most coding on-line is clunky and not best suited for the Xara environment.

Instead, here is my anime.js take on the idea: anime.js - Before-After Slider.xar

The top image is the After one and has a target Name of 'after'.
    The is a JavaScript Slider Placeholder that links into the animation.

The animation runs the once to show the Slider in operation.
    Thereafter, you drag the Slider.
    If you don't want the animation to start, add 'autoplay: false,', or set 'duration: 1,'.

With a different image width, remember you need to change the Slider width in its Code and line up left edges.
    The rest you can play around with.
    The CSS for slider controls is browser hit and miss so don't tweak it unless you can spare the time testing.

Acorn