Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Fitting an Object to a Curve

So...I have not yet mastered the shape tool - where I can effectively adjust curves and points (I'm working on it!). With that said, I am seeking to transform my current object (shape of a rectangle) into an area where it bends along a curve (see attached picture). Is there a simpler way to do this (Note, I want to keep the object properties. I.e., I don't want to convert my shape into a bitmap and then do a bitmap fill)?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Object to Curve Example.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	132421  
    Last edited by ohioandy; 17 July 2022 at 07:45 PM.

Default Re: Fitting an Object to a Curve

The more effort I make toward mastering the shape tool, the more I'm thinking that this may be my best option. Thanks for checking out my post and offering any additional tips or suggestions that may be helpful.

two options:

one is to add/remove/adjust nodes as necessary with the shape tool to adjust the shape outline - or if you already have a shape the correct outline, you could just use it to intersect your rectangle

two you might try the mould tool, but it is likely to be fiddly; shape tool is quick once you get the hang of it
    Last edited by handrawn; 17 July 2022 at 09:08 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks so much for the tips! I really like the intersect shapes suggestion. I hadn't thought of that or used that feature yet. Thanks again!

you are welcome

keeping shapes you are going to use again, so you don't have to redraw just intersect a copy is really useful
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Great suggestion!

For my project, I ended up making a simple shape with the shape tool and then adjusted the nodes. After doing that, I used the intersect shape feature as suggested. That really helped a ton and will save me a lot of time in the future! Thanks so much!

make a shape with the shape tool of the area you want to put your stripe pattern into. keep fill color and line color empty. drag your stripe pattern over the shape and Apply Clipview (shortcut - Q)
    Right-click the clipping shape, select the clipped object and adjust the scale and position.