Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Graphic used as Og image in background

Now I can't find the tags, for the graphic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Try putting your tags in the head section, not the body.

Sue,
    Egg, I don't know what that is, "Xara's Web Properties/Open Graph" feature.
    Please do share...
    Sue
    I think it was released in v18 or v19:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	132400  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, Egg. I do see that now. Do you know if it works? LOL I have had all versions since 15...
    Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Sue,

I think it was released in v18 or v19:

Yes it does work but checking on https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/ often doesn't return the image, however the image seems to work fine on Facebook. If this is a fault of Facebooks debug page or Xara's implementation I can't say. It also seems to be limited to the whole website rather than individual webpages. I've only used this feature once and can't say I'm in anyway an an expert in this field
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@Sueb. Hi Sue. FWIW I’ve tried to incorporate Facebook elements with code and placeholders etc. Chrome worked intermittently. Anything Safari did not. I have duplicated that blinking a few times over. What I wanted to do was show the posts of a Facebook page. Since most of the my audience are using iPhones it failed more times than not, and certainly on apple devices. Rather than chase it down I scraped the idea.

I suspected that Facebook is changing their interface so frequently that the code was becoming more and more complex. I’m sorry it did not work for you. It does seem to work with chrome but intermittently.

I convinced the clients that adding a Facebook element would take them away from the website, but in your situation it may be different.

Instead I simply added a Facebook logo with a link and simply added “see our page” or an equivalent. I believe you have a dedicated audience and they’ll understand.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Hi Bill, I think you're missing the point regarding Open Graph.

"I convinced the clients that adding a Facebook element would take them away from the website, but in your situation it may be different."

Open Graph doesn't create a link on your/clients site to take them away from their websie.

What it does is to create a more meaningful web link on social media.

Say you creae a post on Facebook (or Twitter) to your website. To do so you copy & paste your websites url into your Facebook post.

At it's basic it can just create a blue text link to your site when viewed in Facebook. i.e. www.mysite.com

Not very exiciting!

What Open Graph allows you to do is not only to post a title & content but an image (or short video) which is more enticeing than a plain url link.

In fact FB does a very good job of creating tags from your page source. Try your own url @ https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/. It does a fairly decent job.

If you wish to have more control over this then use Xara's (limited) Open Graph tag on Web Properties. (It appears to create a website OG link rather than separate webpage links)

These tags create no content within your webpage/site. They don't take visitors away from your site, in fact the opposite. They just allow FB to give a more visual link to your webpage/website on FB on your posts.

As I've said no expert here but just my understanding.
    Egg

@egg @sueb. Apologies to both of you. Initially I thought this was an imbed feature which from Facebook is so darn fickle. Then the discussion changed to Open Graph. Didnt read the entire post. I’ll see myself out. (face palm)

Reference: https://helpandsupport.xara.com/xara...h=Open%20graph
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

No need for an apology Bill
    Egg