Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Website Cookie Acceptance

I see few Xara-designed websites ever paying attention to the regulatory need to advice about how that site is using Cookies.
    This applies even when just using Google Analytics.

Xara links to https://help.xara.com/article/446-ad...consent-banner and you can use the Open Source product for free.
    This is a third-party widget.

I have developed a more Xara-integrated design that uses a small amount of JavaScript to handle localStorage instead of a Cookie.
    It can be repurposed to handle Cookies but localStorage only saves a record on the browser your are using and does not transmit anything back to a third-party.

The Consent Form is on a !layer (always publishes).
    The ACCEPT set the 'hidden' item in localStorage.
    The consent() function adds a ClassName of 'given' to all objects that have a Name of htmlclass="consent"; here, these are all in the !Consent layer.
    The page is then refreshed and the Consent form vanishes, never to be seen again, until you press the REMOVE CONSENT button.
    Its code is also all in its Link.

The consent() function is in the Website HTML Code head section.

It works across Variants.

You can link to a separate Cookie Policy page, I used a pop-up layer.
    The pop-ups have to be Sticky.to appear above the blocking box.

What I would appreciate knowing is how bulletproof the mechanism is across browsers and devices.
    Is it as good as the third-party widget?

JS - Cookie Consnet Pop-up.xar

Do ask if there are any unclear instructions.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Website Cookie Acceptance

Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Very helpful.
    Gary, thank you.

@All - It's the browsers used I need to know about. Secondary, it's then the devices but that ask might be seen as intrusive by some.

In passing, this can be used as a one-time pop-up for new visitors, it doesn't have to be all about cookies.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'm a bit hazy on all of this. Any guidance/input would be greatly appreciated.

Does a basic Xara website, with no user interactivity, use cookies, or are they used by the server?

IOW, do I need a Cookie consent statement if i have only a very basic Xara website with on links or user interaction?

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortilon View Post
    I'm a bit hazy on all of this. Any guidance/input would be greatly appreciated.
    Does a basic Xara website, with no user interactivity, use cookies, or are they used by the server?
    IOW, do I need a Cookie consent statement if i have only a very basic Xara website with on links or user interaction?
    Thanks a lot.
    Vortilon, no you wouldn't. Think of a Cookie like a business card gieven to you and you scribble further details down everytime you call or meet. All that information could be quite sensitive and so you wouldn't want to lose it for someone to find.
    If you treat Cookies or other identifying material you gather in a safe and controlled manner, you are compliant, mostly. You have to tell the owner that this is what you are doing.

No such data? No cookie consent required.
    An IP address of a visitor is not readily attributable to an individual so you can record visits, e.g., Google Analytics, Cloudflare server logs, ...

You can always declare "I don't use Tracking Cookies." It does get a tad more confusing if you include third party widgets so you then might have to advise these are in play.

Acorn

General point: There are online cookie checkers also, so if you're unsure whether you need to have a cookie acceptance you can check to see if you do. Of course Google Anylitics does so if it does you'll need one.

Personally I hate them and tried avoiding them on clients sites if at all possible when I was into that business. They're a good idea but totally over egged!

Example Online Checker
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host