Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara file "forgets" page background

Hello to all,

I hope someone has a tip: I have a website consisting of several individual pages that have a page background. This is a tiled graphic that I have often used for this without any problems. In my XAR file in V19 I now have a strange phenomenon. I work on the site, the site exports cleanly and without problems. When I continue working the next day and open the file again, either a.) on some of the pages the background has disappeared (i.e. the tiled graphic) and the page background is set to transparent (pasteboard shines through) OR b.) the background is displayed normally and when exporting the site as HTML, on some pages the page background is not present (i.e. set to transparent again). Now I have done "Reset page background" several times on each page and selected the graphic again and defined it as background. When I expore everything is ok, I save it and the next day when I continue working I have the same problem again. The affected pages change. Are there any logical explanations? I have never had this problem before. Are there other people here who are "still" using V19 on Windows 8.1 (which Xara says is possible)? Frankly, I've never had so many strange phenomena as with V19. It's not the PC as these problems don't occur with V15. Don't misunderstand, I'm a longtime fan of Xara, but something like this costs a lot of unnecessary searching and work time.

TomTom

Lightbulb Re: Xara file "forgets" page background

TomTom, I would upload a mock-up of a few pages with your tile and we'll be in a better position to discuss what to do.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Xara file "forgets" page background

Thanks, how to upload files here?

TomTom

Info Re: Xara file "forgets" page background

TomTom, when you create a new Post, you can click the Go Advanced button and upload by clicking on the Attachments (paperclip) icon.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, here is the file...

test file.xar

I can't find anything odd about your test xar file TomTom. One thing that may help is to make the background rectangle "repeat on all pages"
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

TomTo, thank you.

Xara might be at a half-way house in v19 with its implementation in using SVG for background patterns.
    I don't know if SVG has 'Shapes as SVG' enabled yet but the source code will be in the background, waiting for a Magix release.

Assuming 'Shapes as SVG' is active as in XPro+v21 then when used on a 'Website' page, SVG <pattern /> is used.
    If not, the CSS background: url() method is used.
    For a 'Scroll' or "Transition" site (multiple pages), the first page uses SVG <pattern /> and subsequent CSS background: url().

What I do is design the first page and when thereafter by invoking New Page (even blank), this will always apply the prior page's background.

The other defect in Xara's 'Scroll' approach is only the first page background is applied to all pages regardless of any different ones used.

Acorn

Hello, thanks to both of you!

YES, I have "Shapes as SVG" active on this site, to save load time as the site is with many (handmade) graphics. What do you both think if I set a new layer on each page instead define it als page background? And then use it at repeated fill?

TomTom, at least I didn't misspell your handle as TonTo!

If you do that the extra trick will be to give it an Image Filename (Web Properties > Image > Image Filename: panelling) but only if every page is the same height/width.
    You can still use this approach but change another page by a pixel and you will also get panelling01.jpg/png/webp.

Sorry we still don't know why v19 is failing you, it should be simple.

Acorn