Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Time to renew my subscription

I upgraded just over a year ago to Xara Web Designer Premium v18. I had been using Web Designer Premium v11 for several years and I was going back and forth at that time with either upgrading the Xara or going over to Wordpress. With Wordpress I would have to learn a whole new system and I don't know how much it would do things better or not. But I don't use Xara often either, so I'm rusty when I want to update my website.

My subscription ran out a couple weeks ago, but I guess to entice me to update, they are giving me a little deal, but just until the end of June. So I only have a couple days to decide. Honestly, I most likely will update because it's the easier thing to do.

I think there was only a small update in the program this past year I had the subscription. This new version says it has a couple small upgrades, with the biggest seeming to be a bunch of new templates. But I don't use templates on my site. I made it from blank pages. Not that I have a great site, but I just like to put things where I want them.

One thing I wish it had (I tried looking around and couldn't find anything like what I want) is a photo gallery where I could put up photos that have different sizes/aspect ratios (8x10, 11x14, etc.) and orientations (horizontal, vertical, square) and also be able to add some text explaining the photo.

I did notice something about open graph capability. I didn't think v18 had that, but I just looked and it does.

So, back to figuring out what to do. If you want to give any opinions, I'll be happy to read them. Thanks.

Default Re: Time to renew my subscription

Marky, did you know that you were entitled to download version 19 in your subscription?

Did you download all the catalogue assets?

If not, you probably need to upgrade. Magix offers are mostly smoke.
    Hold off until you see an offer of extras that you will actually use.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for your input. I have not downloaded all of the content catalog. I know I've read something about doing that, but I'm not sure how. I know when I looked around at the catalog online looking for photo galleries, it was a bit hard to search. How would I download the whole catalog?

I just checked the release notes and see that v19 came out in March 2022. My subscription expired at the end of May 2022. I had no idea a new version was available. Xara's notes say that it will automatically download if you've got a current subscription when you open the program, but I don't use the software often. I use Topaz Labs software (among others) for my photo editing work and they changed over a while back to a subscription type of service also. But... they send me an email when a new upgrade or update is available. So if I don't happen to use that program often, I am still informed of the update availability. Sounds like a good idea for Xara to do.

Like I said, I will probably update anyhow. Thanks.

Marky

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyW48 View Post
    Hi Acorn,
    Thanks for your input. I have not downloaded all of the content catalog. I know I've read something about doing that, but I'm not sure how. I know when I looked around at the catalog online looking for photo galleries, it was a bit hard to search. How would I download the whole catalog?
    I just checked the release notes and see that v19 came out in March 2022. My subscription expired at the end of May 2022. I had no idea a new version was available. Xara's notes say that it will automatically download if you've got a current subscription when you open the program, but I don't use the software often. I use Topaz Labs software (among others) for my photo editing work and they changed over a while back to a subscription type of service also. But... they send me an email when a new upgrade or update is available. So if I don't happen to use that program often, I am still informed of the update availability. Sounds like a good idea for Xara to do.
    Like I said, I will probably update anyhow. Thanks. Marky
    Marky, when you update, go to the Local Designs gallery and right-click on each top-level blue folder and pick Download All.

Magix is the baddie in not explicitly advising version 19 (and earlier) was released as a free update. I find that shaming.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat