Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default text and photos not displaying correctly

Hello... Does anybody know why this might be happening? I have a fairly simple website and am using Pro. The site worked fine with Text and photos (text under photos and beside photos). Then, after I added more text, photos and buttons to the bottom, the top of the page containing the text and photos went crazy in the way it displayed - text displaying in a different size - bigger or smaller, text pushed photos off kilter, text moved around, etc. It is strange that it was working at first. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks

Default Re: text and photos not displaying correctly

Did this happen after you published the site, but looks fine if you preview directly from Xara?

If so, you need to clear your browser cache CTRL+F5 for a desktop, somewhere in the browser settings on a mobile, usually under Privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Did this happen after you published the site, but looks fine if you preview directly from Xara?

If so, you need to clear your browser cache CTRL+F5 for a desktop, somewhere in the browser settings on a mobile, usually under Privacy.
    thank you for responding... yes, it does display correctly in the xara preview, and I have repeatedly cleared my cache because I have uploaded numerous fixes to the server and each time I clear my cache. The site worked perfectly at first. It is a simple site, not complex, with a few words and a few photos and two pages. The buttons worked fine. I added some things a few times and it still worked fine. Then I added a few small photos at the bottom and two new (inactive) buttons (two active buttons at the bottom were working fine) and then it all went haywire. The text at the top of the page changed color (black to white in some cases), size (some to very big, some to very small), and position (even going off the website to the right. The text also displaced the position of my photos. I have uploaded several tries, even starting from scratch, and, most recently, I just put in the title and small bits of text and one photo that are at the top of the site to try to see where it went wrong. And now even these are distorted and displaced. Thank you for your help...

Quote Originally Posted by Alani View Post
    thank you for responding... yes, it does display correctly in the xara preview, and I have repeatedly cleared my cache because I have uploaded numerous fixes to the server and each time I clear my cache. The site worked perfectly at first. It is a simple site, not complex, with a few words and a few photos and two pages. The buttons worked fine. I added some things a few times and it still worked fine. Then I added a few small photos at the bottom and two new (inactive) buttons (two active buttons at the bottom were working fine) and then it all went haywire. The text at the top of the page changed color (black to white in some cases), size (some to very big, some to very small), and position (even going off the website to the right. The text also displaced the position of my photos. I have uploaded several tries, even starting from scratch, and, most recently, I just put in the title and small bits of text and one photo that are at the top of the site to try to see where it went wrong. And now even these are distorted and displaced. Thank you for your help...
    This sounds like caching server-side. If you use Cloudflare, it has a Dev Mode that purges the server cache otherwise you have to wait until all the edge severs receive the changed files.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    This sounds like caching server-side. If you use Cloudflare, it has a Dev Mode that purges the server cache otherwise you have to wait until all the edge severs receive the changed files.

Acorn
    hmm... yes, interesting... I will look into this... thank you...

I had similar issues -
    to bypass any cache issues
    I renamed the xar file, saved to a new folder in my PC
    and uploaded to a dummy folder on the server
    hence was NO previous cache
    and I STILL had issues
    ie looks ok on preview but not in the browser or when uploaded
    I had done the same as you - many copies/paste from other pagers or other xar, etc
    seems my issues were layer related
    eg I would paste a photo or text - and it would not appear
    so I would paste it again
    then find it and arrange? move to 'top layer' and would appear
    then slide into a location on the page I wanted
    but I think the underlying version would still cause formatting issues
    most often trying to have a photo push the surrounding text - it would be all goofy
    ^^ this was all before I became better at understanding layers (still learning)
    *eg paster broad, page, mouseOff moueseOver etc
    as I got better (still a rookie here) - I found duplicate items everywhere in the wrong layers

I also found many empty text areas
    seams as when you make a text area or text line
    and then click elsewhere (as in done making text in that location)
    it makes a new text area where you clicked and that was also upsetting the formatting/item spacing

hope the above helps
    sorry if it seems rambling - but it is as I recalled
    (I am just an occasional user)

TD, your description is usually caused by a badly terminated Placeholder's code: everything will render until it hits it and all the styling and features go out the window.

To test a site or page, I would drag the Placeholder)(s) onto the Pasteboard and Preview.
    If you understand the browser's Dev Tools (F12) then you can refresh the page and watch the Network transfers and the error messages in its Console.

The other approach is divide and conquer: half the number of pages, layers or objects until it works. You then half again until you find the fault.

By far the best is to develop a bit at a time and test every stage, saving versions as you go along.
    Pick a good template first and dissect it until you understand what it does and, importantly, how.
    Start simple.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn:
    thanks // I AM a student of small code blocks to test and grow
    taught myself Fortran decades ago when we had to rent mainframes (yeah = pre PC)
    so imagine my angst when the site would work, add just a few items and not work
    one of you here found some hidden (empty) text boxes and then I learned to look under shapes
    (which I use to highlight certain text blocks)

point is, that I just now learned that all paste doesn't always land where you expect
    so I would paste again (now with multiple copies)
    and then use repel text around photos - which looks ok in the editor and sometimes in the view site
    but then failed in the browser view
    so this might be the problem with the OP
    also = I never used the placeholder - I will look into that

thanks for feedback

ps
    I used to use f12 years ago - when HTML pages were simpler
    now too complex for me // haha