Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Combine Shapes Issue

Hi Everybody,

I'm having a slight issue with combining a grouped shape. I want to break-up this shape
    into three separate shapes.
    Name:  ex_1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  5.0 KB

However, when I place a shape over the that group and select Arrange > Combine Shapes > Slice I
    get what I want except for a tiny detail:
    Name:  ex_2.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  7.5 KB

Several pesky lines where they shouldn't be. If I simply set the line-width to "none" I also lose the outline on the letter
    itself. I don't want to do that.

Can I eliminate or avoid those lines that are "added" to the the new groups?
    Many Thanks,
    -Paul-
    If I wasn't so stupid, I wouldn't have to be so persistent.

Default Re: Combine Shapes Issue

Use the Shape Tool and Break at Points. Then delete the parts of the line you don't want.

Or make a clone of the text and copy it to the clipboard. Remove the outline.

Paste the clone (Paste in Place) and convert the outline to shapes.

Remove the overlap.

Paul, my approach would be to place the "cutter" underneath.
    Set its Line width to none.
    Select your letter group and the cutter and then Combine shapes > All shapes.
    Its Group is retained,

Remove the remaining cutter parts.
    If you want to be posh, place the cutter on its own Layer under your group shape.
    You can then hide or delete that layer.

Xara - Magic Cutter.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I've rethought this and come up with a simpler way.

Make a version of the letter with no outline.

Clone and add an outline. Convert Outline to Shapes.

Group all. Used a rectangle and Combine Shape > Subtract Shapes to remove the middle sections.

Gary, thank you I misunderstand the slicing is keeping a Line width around all the shape - as you would expect.

If you have the Line to Shape with the original without a Line width then the cutter approach quickly creates what you have described.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I've used this method so many times. And one of the most powerful functions added in recent years is convert line to shape.

Thank you, Gary and Acorn

You two have bailed me out several times, and as always I appreciate the time you give me.

So! I beat on this issue, using your suggestions, and finally got what thought I wanted. Trouble
    is, it doesn't integrate well with the rest of the page. I'm gonna crawl into a bottle and try to
    forget the whole exercise.

Thank you again fellas
    Many Thanks,
    -Paul-
    If I wasn't so stupid, I wouldn't have to be so persistent.