Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exporting to EMF/WMF includes strange padding

Ive found that exporting even the simplest page to EMF/WMF adds a strange variable amount of padding to the resulting image (depending on contents of the page), but exporting to pdf works as expected (no random padding, the pdf is always the same size as the page).

Steps to reproduce
    1) Create a custom page 8x8 inch
    2) Draw an 8x8 inch square and center it within the page
    3) Export to EMF/WMF
    4) Open the resulting file

Expected results:
    1) I would expect the EMF file not to have any kind of padding (just the actual page contents), the drawn square should form the
    entirety of the resulting image.

Actual result: The EMF file has been created with a strange blank amount of padding, so the square no longer fills the entirety of the resulting image.

I've included an example Xara file: Before.xar, I couldn't upload the emf file as the extension is not accepted.
    Here is how the xara file looks initially: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	132245
    And here is how the EMF looks after opening: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	132244 (Notice the border padding that is now present)
    Last edited by JAJ; 23 June 2022 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added example Xara file, and screenshots

Default Re: Exporting to EMF/WMF includes strange padding

Hi JAJ, welcom0e at TG.

I followed your directions but upon import of the EMF, the image is exactly the same as the original design. I'm using XDP 19.

Hi Boy, Thanks for taking a look, I've updated my post with an example .xar file, and some screenshots which hopefully explain the issue better.

you may have non visible objects in file?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I thought about that initially when I had a much more complicated page, so to rule that out I created a brand new page and just added a rectangle and the two lines you see in the screenshot. (All of which are within the page bounds)

Furthermore, I've discovered that if I right click on a single object, and select Export PNG or Export JPG, then these methods export the Selection only by default (which is what I would expect), however when selecting EMF as the export format, it still insists on exporting the entire page. There doesn't seem to be any export option for "Selection only" for EMF, which may be part of the problem.

I opened your file and can see the same as you do. I deleted the contents and added an 8 x 8 square, looked at the settings of your file but couldn't find anything off.

I attached a xar file with an object that exports as expected.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's interesting, I tried your example and didn't get any additional border.

Then I set the Line Color of your square to black, and re-exported as EMF, and that triggered the extra padding issue.

For what reason/purpose do you need to export in these file formats? Just curious.

Interesting indeed. The color or the size of the line doesn't seem to matter. And when setting the line to 'None', it still shows the border upon export. When I Ctrl+Z to before setting the line color/size, I exports okay again. Seems like a bug to me.