Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Arrow or symbol used to bring you to the top of the page

You will need to copy/paste the trigger as well as the arrow.

Don't forget that the arrow will magically disappear when the trigger object is off screen. You could either use the rectangle method, as above, or use multiple objects all named the same.

You are right about the trigger being off screen! Darn... don't want to use multiple objects.

I didn't really get the other instruction about the backpage and blue...to make the arrow go further down the page..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    You will need to copy/paste the trigger as well as the arrow.

Don't forget that the arrow will magically disappear when the trigger object is off screen. You could either use the rectangle method, as above, or use multiple objects all named the same.

Lightbulb Re: Arrow or symbol used to bring you to the top of the page

A few additions to "improve" the reveal.

• Drag the arrow onto the Pasteboard - this sticks it to the left or right edge of the browser, regardless of scaling. It avoids your design being hidden by the arrow up to the point when the page width equals or exceeds the browser width.
    • Set the reveal to something like Fade in up - the movement gently gives the viewer a clue that something new has appeared.
    • For the trigger object, include a dummy trigger name (e.g., NeverUsed) by typing NeverUsed into its Trigger object name Box and then click Apply. This make the trigger object invisible when the page is rendered.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Trying this. When I go to assign the reveal animation, on the shape, in the pasteboard background, I get an error message "Objects on the pasteboard background layer cannot have a reveal animations appied."
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    A few additions to "improve" the reveal.

• Drag the arrow onto the Pasteboard - this sticks it to the left or right edge of the browser, regardless of scaling. It avoids your design being hidden by the arrow up to the point when the page width equals or exceeds the browser width.
    • Set the reveal to something like Fade in up - the movement gently gives the viewer a clue that something new has appeared.
    • For the trigger object, include a dummy trigger name (e.g., NeverUsed) by typing NeverUsed into its Trigger object name Box and then click Apply. This make the trigger object invisible when the page is rendered.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    Trying this. When I go to assign the reveal animation, on the shape, in the pasteboard background, I get an error message "Objects on the pasteboard background layer cannot have a reveal animations appied."
    Sue, the arrow should still be on the MouseOff layer.

You do not put it into the Pasteboard layer, just drag it into an off-page position.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Okay, I thought when you said "pasteboard" that meant the layer.
    Back to the drawing board. Do you mean to put the symbol (arrow) off of the page? I am a bit lost now.
    Sorry...just not getting what to do exactlly.
    Sue
    Sue, the arrow should still be on the MouseOff layer.

You do not put it into the Pasteboard layer, just drag it into an off-page position.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    Okay, I thought when you said "pasteboard" that meant the layer.
    Back to the drawing board. Do you mean to put the symbol (arrow) off of the page? I am a bit lost now.
    Sorry...just not getting what to do exactlly.
    Sue
    Sue, yes off the page (off-page).

Acorn

Okay, did that and it doesn't show up. Something is cuckoo!
    Sue, yes off the page (off-page).

Acorn

I think that Acorn just meant off of the page, not literally on the pasteboard background layer.

Also, this may be too little too late, but when I was implementing this very function, I would actually put the arrow where I wanted it to appear down the page. It never worked because it would appear off the page. The arrow itself needs to be at the top of the page so that it's in the window when it does appear. This may, or may not, be something that has be vexing you, but hopefully it helps anyway

And example: https://www.kungfushihtzugrooming.com/

I scrolled back to Acorn's post #17 - there is an excellent explanation with a demo on how the function can work on-page and off-page.

An alternative to using a trigger to bring the top-of-page icon into view, is simply to have it in view (and in the case of a mobile variant) to have it adjacent to the menu icon as part of a sticky header:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220627-125339.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	132278 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220627-125506.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	132279

Lots of options.
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Xara Designer Pro+ and Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023