Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Has Xara Live effect tool improved in version 19?

I've been using Xara designer pro X and Xara Photo & Graphic 15.
    And I'm wondering if I should upgrade it to 19 or wait for 20?
    Not sure what big features 19 has to offer and that is it worth upgrading now.

From my experience with Xara designer pro X and Xara Photo & Graphic 15,
    I felt the need that Xara devs must work on the 'Live Effect Tool' performance.

And some new features like:
    • Gradient on outlines.
    • Mesh gradient.
    • Maybe raytracing, a few materials, and better lights in the 3D tool. (I know that's too much to ask. :P)
    • Styles attribute panel where we can create style attributes and also able to import and export them for future use.
    • Pixel mode, pixel layer, and pixel brushes are helpful for pixel art.
    • Flat symbolic icons for UI.

Also, I can't Use photo adjustment on the Live Effect Tool. :(
    I also notice deleting a live effect also removes the transparency tool effect. it would be better if it don't.

Well, that's all. Let me know If version 19 has anything good.
    Last edited by koshi; 18 June 2022 at 04:46 AM.

Default Re: Has Xara Live effect tool improved in version 19?

Others here at TG will be able to give you more precise answers to your questions, but what about downloading the XDP 19 trial and giving it a spin to see if you like it enough to upgrade? It installs next (separate) from your current version, so you can easily remove it from your system in case you decide not to upgrade.

This page might help you to get an idea about all the changes that have been made to XDP since the version you're using now: https://www.xara.com/eu/designer-pro/whats-new. Please note that there are two tabs: one for version 21 that is published directly by Xara and one for version 19 that is marketed via Magix. A bit confusing but it boils down to two different marketing approaches. The Xara deal is subscription based and only works as long as you pay your yearly fees and the Magix deal is half-subscription based as it continues to work after the subscription period but you won't be receiving free updates and have no access to online resources anymore. In addition, the Xara app is always a bit more advanced than the one from Magix.

there have been a lot of changes to the way the selector tool works, for that reason alone you should try out the trial
    when you apply a live effect to a photo it is no longer a photo, becomes a live effect object, which is why you cannot use photo adjust; you can make a bitmap copy at a suitable resolution and adjust that
    the 3D tool is 3D in name only, no 3D mapping only 2D extrusion, raytrace is not possible therefore
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@Boy

Thanks for the reply. I'll install the trial version first. :)

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    there have been a lot of changes to the way the selector tool works, for that reason alone you should try out the trial
    when you apply a live effect to a photo it is no longer a photo, becomes a live effect object, which is why you cannot use photo adjust; you can make a bitmap copy at a suitable resolution and adjust that
    the 3D tool is 3D in name only, no 3D mapping only 2D extrusion, raytrace is not possible therefore
    Thank you for replying. Yeah, I saw that on the Magix product 'new features' section on their website. The new handles.
    And Yes, that's how I've been doing it. By making a bitmap copy then do the photo adjustment on the new bitmap copy. but, I was wondering if that is possible. a non-destructing approach, where you can go back to a live effect option and make adjustments that instantly reflect on the element.

3D tool is okay. but, very limited. the render is not that good, It gives out very dull colors. but, after playing around with the tool options. I have developed some good techniques that can give some good graphics.

But, My main concern is the filters in the Live effect tool. it's slow and crashes on many occasions. If Xara devs can improve on that. then I'd be happy to upgrade just for that. maybe they've already done that in XDP 19 and I haven't tried it yet. :P
    Last edited by koshi; 18 June 2022 at 02:21 PM.

Let us know how things work out with the trial.

By the way, I never have the Live FX tool crash the app (I'm using XDP 19).

Quote Originally Posted by koshi View Post
    ...I was wondering if that is possible. a non-destructing approach, where you can go back to a live effect option and make adjustments that instantly reflect on the element...
    depends on the filter - some allow you to return and adjust or even overlay a different live effect and some don't; plus you have the option of locking the effect so it cannot be edited [for those that allow editing] but this is off by default - most will let you return to the original by removing the effect, but since that is 'non-destructive' it does return you to the base object not a modified version of that as you noticed with the transparency...

there has been no change to the way the live effects work that I am aware of

Back in the day the would crash every so often, but these days hardly ever; I think it may be that i have got used to what you can and cannot expect to work, maybe more powerful hardware and a better operating system for purpose in windows 10...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...