Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Embedded Google Sheet with popdown access

Hi,

I have an embedded Google Sheet with multiple sheets. On the second Sheet (Price History) is a dropdown list to select an item to be displayed in the chart. The problem is that users do not have access to the dropdown (or any of the cells).

Is there a way to give access to the dropdown to users? Is there another solution?

The popdown list is linked to a column on the first sheet (actually a sorted list on the third sheet)

Link to test site

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Google Sheet access to popdown.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	132186

Thanks,
    John CB
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Default Re: Embedded Google Sheet with popdown access

John, the Data validation drop-downs only work if the users have editing rights.
    When selecting from the drop-down means you are making a change to the spreadsheet.
    It will only work with a shared link that has been set to "anyone with the link can edit".

A workaround is to set the view to Edit but protect all cells on the sheet with the exception of the cells with dropdown list (Data validation).
    You need to then set the edit permission access to only yourself.

Moving Thread to web design.

Acorn

Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn,

I see that there is a changed URL for the updated Sheet and I used that and updated the page.

I have now protected sheets, unprotected dropdown cells on second sheet but I want to get it to look like it did before - with the tabbed sheets at the top and preferably without the title and the editing tools.

Is this possible and still allow editing on the second sheet?

Here is the HTML code (body) that I am using:

<iframe id=Stocks" src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17tUhEG8O9BUjUZDpMuK4iPa_wyJKWQrE3DfDMC-5lbM/edit?usp=sharing;
    gid=1233054202&amp;&widget=false&amp;range=A4:J45& amp;headers=false"height="1100" width="1005" style=”border:none”;chrome=false&amp
    ></iframe>
    Right now, I can go in and update cells. Can you change anything on the first sheet?

Do you see my picture at the upper right of the Sheet and if you mouse over it, can you see my email address? If so, is there any way to hide it?

Thanks.
    John CB
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

John, your picture and email are ther if you are signed in.
    It shows who is signed in not always you.

I tweaked your embed:
    Code:
    <iframe id="Stocks" src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17tUhEG8O9BUjUZDpMuK4iPa_wyJKWQrE3DfDMC-5lbM/edit?rm=minimal&usp=sharing; gid=1233054202&widget=false&range=A4:J45&headers=false "height="1100" width="1005" style=”border:none”; chrome=false;></iframe>
    id had a typo | & instead of &amp; | ?rm=minimal after edit parameter.
    Seems to work.

I would set your lookups sheet to be hidden.

I cannot think of a way to put the tabs back to the top.
    You could create your own buttons or link cells to the other page and freeze rows.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Thank you again, that is great!

I have updated the sheet and the placeholder. Looks much better.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

I fixed up a few things but for the phone variant, the popdown is not available and, although I can select the cell, I can't change it. I don't get the keyboard.

Any solution without seeing this? The variant was created for the main site, not the test site.

Also, the Sheet names show up at the top in the variant which is great.

Thanks,
    John CB
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

John, sorry. I'm about running on empty and guessing blind won't cut it.

I used to develop Excel applications for Desktop and SharePoint but have had little real engagement with Google Sheets.

An IFRAME in the Variant with the same ID won't work. Try changing that first.

Acorn

Acorn,

I have now done the variant and changed the ID to Stocks2.

<iframe id="Stocks2" src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17tUhEG8O9BUjUZDpMuK4iPa_wyJKWQrE3DfDMC-5lbM/edit?rm=minimal&usp=sharing; gid=1233054202&widget=false&range=A4:J66&headers=f alse "height="100%" width="100%" style=”border:none”; chrome=false;></iframe>

Interestingly, resizing Edge to see the variant does not show the links for the two Sheets, using my cell phone does.

Please let me know if you see the same thing.

Thanks,
    John CB
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Acorn,
    I have now done the variant and changed the ID to Stocks2.
    <iframe id="Stocks2" src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17tUhEG8O9BUjUZDpMuK4iPa_wyJKWQrE3DfDMC-5lbM/edit?rm=minimal&usp=sharing; gid=1233054202&widget=false&range=A4:J66&headers=f alse "height="100%" width="100%" style=”border:none”; chrome=false;></iframe>
    Interestingly, resizing Edge to see the variant does not show the links for the two Sheets, using my cell phone does.
    Please let me know if you see the same thing.
    Thanks, John CB
    John, both views work for me in Edge & Chrome.
    What I am finding interesting is a change of company in either browser changes the other.
    I know I am logged into my Google account but synchronised browsers is a first for me.

Acorn