Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text style class names in HTML

Request for HTML publish to retain hyphens and underscores in custom text style names.

For example; currently "my-style" publishes to HTML as class name "my-45style"

and "my_style" publishes to HTML as class name "my-95style"

It looks like it does this for all non-alphanumeric characters but hyphens and underscores are common in HTML class names so maybe they could export as-is?

My use-case is to apply a custom class name eg. product-price-456789 to some text by using a text style name and then dynamically replace the text contained within the HTML span. I can put product-price-456789 as the actual text instead and replace it that way but being able to use the span class name would be nice.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Default Re: Text style class names in HTML

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    Request for HTML publish to retain hyphens and underscores in custom text style names.
    For example; currently "my-style" publishes to HTML as class name "my-45style" and "my_style" publishes to HTML as class name "my-95style"
    It looks like it does this for all non-alphanumeric characters but hyphens and underscores are common in HTML class names so maybe they could export as-is?
    My use-case is to apply a custom class name eg. product-price-456789 to some text by using a text style name and then dynamically replace the text contained within the HTML span. I can put product-price-456789 as the actual text instead and replace it that way but being able to use the span class name would be nice.
    xtom, if it helps, change 'my_style' to 'my style' and the end-result is my_style - the space is changed to an underscore. A leading space returns x-_.

Generally can you not work with Styles as Pascal case, 'ProductPrice 456789' or camelCase, 'productPrice 456789'? [ProductPrice_456789, productPrice_456789]

The alternative would be to iterate through all class lists and replace the offending substitutions.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Text style class names in HTML

Ah thanks Acorn, I did not try using a space, that is good to know.

The naming convention I'm using for tags/class names is eg. cms-product-price-456789 , cms-page-content etc. any character can be upper or lower case but the words are separated with hyphens. I figured it was easiest to read no matter what case is used, although it does make them a bit longer.

With your find I would have to add support to work with underscores too, which is doable. However I noticed afterwards that the class name is used twice, once in the span and again in a wrapping div, and it got a bit messier to pursue.

I ended up adding find-and-replace support so any custom text or class name etc. can be set to be changed to whatever, much like your last suggestion. So in a theme config file you can set for example 'mystyle' => 'my-tag' or whatever and so it's stored and used automatically going forward. None of this was needed for standard placeholders with tags in the body but I was trying to get a bit more fine grain control over the text spans. ie. keep the text styling but just change the text and now this way allows for that too.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.