Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Kington, Herefordshire. I used to live on a boat on the English waterways

Default Membership list in web site

I am putting together a site for our local choral society. It needs a secure page where members can see other members' details but, of course, this needs to be secured behind a password for each member. I have hunted around for a way to do this but had no success.

If there is no way to do this in Xara Desgner Pro can anyone suggest a work around. I am thinking of, perhaps, a tiny site designed using another system (WordPress frinstance?) where I might be able to create the secure area. Better still, is there a widget that I could use for the job?

Nick

Default Re: Membership list in web site

Nick, a password management system requires a back-end and quite a bit of security.
    Xara does not have this natively. XT-CMS might be the best but it costs: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...version-update.

WP is certainly a sensible approach if a bit OTT but the linking to a secured Xara design web page might be harder than you expect.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Kington, Herefordshire. I used to live on a boat on the English waterways

Thanks, Acorn.

Can you give me an idea of how easy it is to use XT-CMS. I haven't written any HTML for thirty years and at 73yo my mental processed are less flexible than they used to be. I did try hard to use WordPress but found it frustratingly inflexible. At the moment the soceity is using a professional web designer who is charging £40+ per month for hosting plus extra chareges for design tweaks. I have offered to do the job for nothing (I already have DP) so I don't think that there will be a problem about the 34 euros for the pro edition. Perhaps I will have a play with the free version. The fact that it works with Xara Web Designer is a big plus.

BTW can you load a DT file into Web Designer?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Thanks, Acorn.
    Can you give me an idea of how easy it is to use XT-CMS. I haven't written any HTML for thirty years and at 73yo my mental processed are less flexible than they used to be. I did try hard to use WordPress but found it frustratingly inflexible. At the moment the soceity is using a professional web designer who is charging £40+ per month for hosting plus extra chareges for design tweaks. I have offered to do the job for nothing (I already have DP) so I don't think that there will be a problem about the 34 euros for the pro edition. Perhaps I will have a play with the free version. The fact that it works with Xara Web Designer is a big plus.
    BTW can you load a DT file into Web Designer?
    Nick
    Nick, xtom would be the one to advise as I have never used XT-CMS other than the trial.
    You would not be coding, rather integrating XT-CMS with almost any version of the Xara product.
    You would create an article based on your Xara page.
    I assume this would holder membership details.
    You then set its viewing permissions to Registered Users.

That is about the limit of my knowledge.

Go to XT-CMS website and if you can download and install, the rest will be a breeze.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Theo, it is possible dependant on you web host. If they have cpanel (which most hosts seem to have these days) you can set up a username & password protected webpage/s.

Below is a link to such an example webpage.

On opening it requests username and password. Visitors nor search robots should be able to view the content without this.

Try opening it first then add the following details:

Username = choral
    Password = Theo2022

WEBPAGE LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Please can someone confirm this functions as I can log in directly without the username/password but as it's my site I suspect this is only true for me. Of course once you've allowed the browser to save the details it will be automatic.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Please can someone confirm this functions as I can log in directly without the username/password but as it's my site I suspect this is only true for me. Of course once you've allowed the browser to save the details it will be automatic.
    Egg, it works but you cannot assign different passwords for each user. If is a common login, it will eventually be broached.

Acorn

Egg, it works but you cannot assign different passwords for each user. If is a common login, it will eventually be broached.

Acorn
    That's not true Acorn. On my host I can create numerous usernames and passwords. You can delete individual users.

Try:
    user acorn
    p/w whqgYNaVTJ?A
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export-a.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	132161  
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    That's not true Acorn. On my host I can create numerous usernames and passwords. You can delete individual users.

Try:
    user acorn
    p/w whqgYNaVTJ?A
    Egg, I am wrong. I suppose the trick then has to be to publish a separate Xara page to a folder and secure the entire folder.

Acorn ��

Thanks Acorn, yes with the CMS option you can create an article or category (basically a web page), call it "Members" or whatever and then as Acorn says just limit access to it by selecting the "Registered Users" user group. You could also create a custom user group if you want give only a sub-set of registered users access. With a custom content template you could also output the members details automatically on the page so you wouldn't have to keep the list updated manually. You can enter various details for users and a bio etc. and also enable profile pages if you wanted to.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.