Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Illusion or not?!

yep, obviously looked too far away from the green first time round

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artifacts present.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	132135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artifacts not present.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	132136

even if it were not artifact that would never be visible at zoom out

as a designer gary may have studied the way putting two colours together can alter the colour you see one as, or even both, as opposed to when they are seperate - this is really a special case of the same thing....
    Last edited by handrawn; 02 June 2022 at 03:05 PM. Reason: add attachments etc
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Possibly the high presence of cyan. I would like to see it without the cyan and see if the eye still perceives the red. I suspect that anyone who has never seen a Coke can would still see red due to the high presence of cyan. Cyan is created from B and G light, depleting those cones but not the red cones. You can see this effect when staring at a color and then looking at a neutral density image.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @boy

yes I can see very slight red - it is espcially clear in the affinity photo zoom because it is designed for photo editing in a way xara is not - both these screenshots are of the exact same file at the exact same pixel size

Attachment 132133Attachment 132134

like I said this is artifact, it has nothing at all to do with the illusion, which is dependent on how the brain filters and decodes the colour frequencies it receives

so I was wrong to say there were not there in the affinity photo zoom, sorry... they are scant is all I can say in feeble excuse, and as far as I can tell only present near the green which would make sense as artifacts, the rest of the bars seem clear as day
    How do you know it's just artifact?

I don't know how the effect of a red can has been created but I can imagine it has to do with the use of all these subtle color variation, the vertical bars and, as Gary suggests, the green color. However, I don't believe we see red only because our mind expects to see red because it's a Coke can (this aside from the fact that the brand also comes in silver and black cans).

If you isolate a section that appear to be all red, it is actually black.
    Your eyes are influenced by the complementary cyan adjacent to the black to render red.
    If you invert all the colours you see red/white in place of cyan/black and the illusion disappears as you cannot see anything green anywhere.
    To make it work you would probably need a red/black combo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The AntiCoke.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	132137

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

How do you know it's just artifact?
    can't be sure - but it is so scant it will have no bearing whatsoever on the way the brain interprets the colouration of that I am sure

@Dan and Acorn way to go - I should dig out my art college theory notes maybe, if I still have them, but there is a ton of stuff on the web about colour perception...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Using DP+ palette from photo, this is what I get. The pink and red are the start of the regular Xara palette.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palette from photo.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	132138  

good one gary
    Nothing lasts forever...

I see no red in either image on my laptop it may be present but I don't see it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I see black and white here... funny how they work together as such... Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Using DP+ p alette from photo, this is what I get. The pink and red are the start of the regular Xara palette.
    OK. you win Gary.

Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.