Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: True space eh?

Default Re: True space eh?

Interestingly, as I stated on a previous post, I was looking at a True Space ad in some graphics magazine intrigued by the idea of 3D, but I not having 3D needs at the time, couldn't justify it's purchase - which was expensive for me at the time. One month later, an attorney client asked if I could create a 30 second 3D animation of an automobile accident for court. I said, yes, but it would take me 30 days to create it. You have to remember, I hadn't ever used 3D software yet, but committed to a well paying job. I picked up Raydream, because that was closer to my budget at the time. I spent 2 weeks learning how to use the software enough to create animations, and then spent 2 weeks creating the actual animation. Due to my shadows being too dark, which I didn't discover until render completion (72 hours), that I had to correct and re-render another 72 hours. But I got the job done and paid for multiple times. That was probably the most gutsy decision on a client's job, but that's how I got started in 3D.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 20 July 2022 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSomebody View Post
    Thing that really ticks us off, is the the kid is an awesome 2D artist... a natural... he used to draw posters in school, for various events, from elementary right through to high school... he also did caricature art for their year books, for all the teachers mugs lol. His sci fi work is stellar. but nope, he just wants to play video games in his spare time, which I might add, often interferes with his work chores, during lunch mostly, as well affects sleep times lol. Oh my... good thing he is a beast at work, by that I mean he is 6'5", strong as most any, and highly skilled, or I would fire him lol.
    being very good at something is never enough in itself, you need a reason to do it; and the reason needs to be one that satisfies/motivates you or you will be going down a dead end - unless you get totally ridiculous amounts of money, but even then it may not make you happy, it is unlikely to last - maybe whilst at school he had such a reason, but not now

I have to either tell stories or make a point, frequently satirical and political, controversial [I am going to miss Mr Johnson]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    being very good at something is never enough in itself, you need a reason to do it; and the reason needs to be one that satisfies/motivates you or you will be going down a dead end - unless you get totally ridiculous amounts of money, but even then it may not make you happy, it is unlikely to last - maybe whilst at school he had such a reason, but not now

I have to either tell stories or make a point, frequently satirical and political, controversial [I am going to miss Mr Johnson]
    Fully agree with Handrawn, here. I create art because I must, good thing I have some skills because I am so compelled to create art, I'd probably do it, even if I were bad at it. I create because I must. I have other talents too, and do spend time on those activities as well, but my preference to creating art dominates my time. If I were more compelled to do other things, I would do other things. The point being, your son could have mad talents at creating art, but that's not enough to be an artist - you have to need to create it in order to pursue it or anything at all. He'll come into his own eventually (at whatever activity compells him), most of us do.

politics is a no-go area on TG, these days at least

ok you can get away with a drawing that is political, if you are demonstrating your drawing skills as opposed to your commentariat pov ...

again, I'll think about it....
    Last edited by handrawn; 20 July 2022 at 07:29 PM. Reason: use fancy words, spellem rite
    Nothing lasts forever...

I avoid anything political online. I run far and fast from any forum where political discussion is allowed. The games and works I create are for a client base from every political stripe - it's for games and entertainment. In no way do I want to alienate any part of my market, by publicly choosing political sides. I certainly have a political view, but I don't share it with anyone except to those close to me. Doing so would provide no benefit. So I'm glad the TG keeps that out. I am a member of many forums and even FB communities where politics is off limits - good for them.

you are tempting me...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm crappy at doing people - hand-drawn or 3D. I am hit or miss. Some of my people illustrations work, many don't. I've always spent more time creating things, animals, monsters, landscape, structures, ships, but not people. Consider I'm a pro artistic cartographer - maps almost never include people, just the evidence of people in the landscape. Now I don't care for Boris myself, but I won't spend time making charactures, as I would be creating people, and I'd much rather create something else - anything else, but that's just me.

I used to work with truespace back in my late 20's. Here is something I did with it. I would not really recommend investing time to learn it now. Times have changed and there are much more porwerful 3d programs that are free out there including Blender. For that era it was fine to learn 3d with truespace.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	behzad-showroom-1-9e1f21fd-eh94.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	132450

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    I used to work with truespace back in my late 20's. Here is something I did with it. I would not really recommend investing time to learn it now. Times have changed and there are much more porwerful 3d programs that are free out there including Blender. For that era it was fine to learn 3d with truespace.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	behzad-showroom-1-9e1f21fd-eh94.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	132450
    Everyone who intends to use 3D has to start somewhere. Notably, seeing an article written by the software director at Pixar Studios, their software if fully proprietary, you cannot purchase it commercially, you can only learn to use it as an employee. So 3D artists are learning to use different software to acquire the skills in order to be hired by Pixar Studios, and then will spend the initial weeks as a new employee learning Pixar's system and software. However, Blender, according to that developer is closest thing to Pixar software. So even though Blender is Open Source, it is one of the most capable 3D applications in existence. You don't have to purchase and learn Maya, Houdini, 3D Studio Max or other high end expensive 3D applications, learn using Blender it's top end and it's free to use. Of course, I'm still learning, and currently use Vue Creator for my professional render work.

Hey Presto ! ... you be might be tempted to say
    Nothing lasts forever...