Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: XARA DESIGNER ERASER QUESTION

If you want to erase part of a shape, then you will use the Shape painter tool. Hold the Shift key and left mouse button, move the cursor over the area you want to erase.

Ray
    Last edited by RKissane; 25 May 2022 at 03:52 PM.

@Acorn

Is that so... well it is a different approach to intersect, and I dare say useful if you are creating an image effect and wish to preserve the original shape without going to the hassle of making a clone first

but for creating vector asset it would not be much use at all to me
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @Acorn
    Is that so... well it is a different approach to intersect, and I dare say useful if you are creating an image effect and wish to preserve the original shape without going to the hassle of making a clone first
    but for creating vector asset it would not be much use at all to me
    handrwn, you are doing Opacity masks a disservice.

The OP asked for an Undo. With an Opacity Mask, you just Detach Opacity Mask and you get the mask object and the original.
    Tweak the Mask object group by adding or deleting things in it. You can even Erase parts of this.
    Reapply Opacity Mask. Repeat.

When satisfied, detach all Masks and Combine Shapes > Intersect All.
    This preserves shapes as SVG in XPro+, hence vector.

As far as I can see a Hard Erase does not preserve a vector shape as a vector for output but you can still use the Shape Tool to edit it.
    If you have cut through the shape, it is grouped so you may need to unpack it.

Kick-starting an Opacity Mask is the hard bit.
    You can use the Erase Tool with a Softness initially and set it back to 0px.
    You can create a Black blob and create an Opacity Mask with it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I do not presume to know what the OP needs this for

I went through a thread where i made the case for keeping things simple with another member ages ago - all this non destructible editing stuff is not keeping it simple for me

As far as I can see a Hard Erase does not preserve a vector shape as a vector for output but you can still use the Shape Tool to edit it.
    my point - I would use the shape tool in the first place to intersect; I don't need all the rest

handrwn, you are doing Opacity masks a disservice.
    no I am appling the principle of william of occam in the general sense: never do something in a complicated way when a simpler way will do
    Nothing lasts forever...

handrawn, the OP asked a question.
    He was given a Yes.
    It did not fit the OP's needs so he assumed there was a Xara limitation.
    For that Tool - yes.
    For a suitable mechanism or workflow - no.

You seem to have a different or further need.
    No worries.

All I was trying to show was there was a non-destructive workflow that had its own richness.
    Knowing a more versatile approach and understanding its nuances nourishes the soul.
    Occam's Razor cuts skinny for a specific solution.

You don't need to use it.
    If others didn't know about it and now do and it helps them, then that is an achievement in my book.

In my case, I rarely use it as the Opacity Mask HTML output is a bitmap, which is why I did a final cut.
    It should be Xara rethinking this last bit to make for a HTML vector output, keeping it non-destructive.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I know what you are doing Mr G and I admire you for it - TG used to be populated with informative posts about different ways of achieving 'the same thing', some of which suit one particular workflow and some others - but the world moves [staggers?] on...

but actually I am hard pressed to think of any situation where I would want to unerase which is not covered by ctrl+z

for some reason 'painting the roses red' came to mind just now, I hope it does not presage either of us losing our head
    Nothing lasts forever...