Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: a leap of faith

Default a leap of faith

sometimes you just have to do it

my cintiq pro has been as good as gold since i bought it 2018, only one issue - fan noise

up until a few months ago never heard the fans, they were set on 'low' and 'silent' they were

but just lately thay started blasting continually, including when the computer went into sleep and the cintiq went into into power saving mode... jeez...

wacom are very good with their customer support, they were prepared to repair it on the basis that the sensors or the fan bearings were faulty, but that would have cost, it being well out of warranty

so... I lifted the back cover and unplugged the fans

it is now silent again, it does not get any warmer than it did, I am happy again

if it dies i will hve to repalce it; but repairs are not cheap and might not have been the most cost effective option...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: a leap of faith

I use Speccy to keep an eye on temperatures in my box.
    I think there is still a free version going: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: a leap of faith

useful for the pc I will grant; but the cintiq is not a pc, it's a peripheral...
    Nothing lasts forever...

handrawn, my bad.
    I had thought the pro bit would have offered up an API or system call to hook into.
    No Settings page?

Add a switch to operate the fans manually.
    Wear ear defenders.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

strangely enough wear ear defenders/muffs/phones was often a suggestion made on forums when I was checking this out

I realise you are not being serious though

if there are no issues then I may wonder why the fans are there in the first place; the cintiq is basically a monitor that you can draw on directly; no monitor I have ever had has fans; I don't see that the interactive pen changes this that much...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I don't think my Cintiq 16 has a fan (except from me!) but it does have two air vents around the back at the top. I was wondering if the angle you work at has any relevance to potential heat build up. For example if you work at a steeper angle, warm air might flow through the vents quicker.

Obviously the Cintiq 16 is a different beast to yours, but I use mine at the standard 'built-in flip-out leg' angle of 19 degrees and have never noticed it getting warm, even after hours of use.

Also I did read somewhere (and you probably know this already) there's an advanced software setting to change the fan speed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defenders.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	132010
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

indeed jono, the cintiq 16 and cinitq pro 24 are quite different beasts

wacom used to supply a computer box attachment that could be attached directly onto the back of the pro 24, thereby converting it from a monitor to a screen drawable computer; under those conditions the screen fans may be more necessary, but i don't have one of those and as far as i know they are no longer avaiable, wacom having introduced its new tablet computer range which are smaller, but truely portable [and overall, less expensive]

[and acorn's sugesstion might just have worked maybe if i had such a box ]

my cintiq is on a stand - usually in traditional monitor orientation, angled slightly for drawing on, or pulled forward and down for deatiled work when the airflow will not be as efficient agreed, something to be aware of...

the advanced software setting for fans 'low' is what it was on from the start, mais oui
    Nothing lasts forever...

PS - I have an intense dislike of not being able to hear what is going on around me [even if nothing is] - I have to wear phones when I'm editing sound, but even then i can only bear to use 'open backed' ones, otherwise i get 'claustrophobic'
    Nothing lasts forever...