Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Linking to an anchor on a different page

Hi all,

I am using Xara Web Designer Premium 19 - I am brand new to the software so apologies if I am doing something daft!

When I preview my website, if I click a link to an anchor on another page, I only navigate to the page, not the correct position on the page.

The link to the anchor point works perfectly when I am in the page with the anchor point.

For example...

When I am in the Home page, with a contact section at the bottom of the page, when I click 'contact' in the Nav bar the screen moves to the contact section. The address bar shows...

http://localhost:8000/virtd2963b14/i...tact:32section

When I click 'contact' in the Nav bar from another page, I move to the top of the correct page, not the contact section. the address bar shows...

So I am clicking the contact button on two different pages and receiving a slightly different address.

The 'xl_' in the address is 'missing'.

What am I missing?

Steve DH
    Last edited by gwpriester; 03 May 2022 at 11:20 PM.

Default Re: Linking to an anchor on a different page

Welcome to TalkGraphics Steve

I am not sure this feature works. I have not tried it for some time but I seem to remember having problems. Maybe one of the other members will have a more definitive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDH View Post
    Hi all,

I am using Xara Web Designer Premium 19 - I am brand new to the software so apologies if I am doing something daft!

When I preview my website, if I click a link to an anchor on another page, I only navigate to the page, not the correct position on the page.

The link to the anchor point works perfectly when I am in the page with the anchor point.

For example...

When I am in the Home page, with a contact section at the bottom of the page, when I click 'contact' in the Nav bar the screen moves to the contact section. The address bar shows...

When I click 'contact' in the Nav bar from another page, I move to the top of the correct page, not the contact section. the address bar shows...

So I am clicking the contact button on two different pages and receiving a slightly different address.

The 'xl_' in the address is 'missing'.

What am I missing?

Steve DH
    In the Utilities/Web Properties/Link dialog, did you use the "Link to anchor" option? Don't forget to click "Apply" at the bottom of the dialog before closing it.

Boy - Have you tried this? If I remember correctly, and it has been ages since I tried it, it only seems to work on the same page, not an anchor on a different page. But it may have been fixed since then. Or I am hallucinating.

Hi Gary, no it works across pages. See attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Boy - Have you tried this? If I remember correctly, and it has been ages since I tried it, it only seems to work on the same page, not an anchor on a different page. But it may have been fixed since then. Or I am hallucinating.

Yes, I tried it but you're right, at one point it didn't work across pages.

OK I modified Egg's example and added Toast at the bottom of Page 2 and the link to anchor from Page 1 does go to Toast.

So, Steve. Has any of this been helpful? Or do you still need help?

Steve, well done for asking - many give up and lose out on so much.
    I hope we can turn you into a frequent flyer.

I have put a site together to cover the approach.

Anchors work across pages. In your case if you are seeing #xl_... then you are using a Scroll or Effects design.
    I have created a Crossfade site but you can change it to a conventional website or a Scroll one, the anchor still works.

Open Xara - paging Anchors.xar

The black box on the first page has a Name or Anchor of "deeplink".
    You can use most characters; I find those starting with numbers end up looking quite contrived.

The Links on each page use Link > Link to anchor: deeplink.

The navigation items are Sticky as i made the pages very long on purpose.

If your anchor is near the bottom of a short page you may not see any movement, a common misunderstanding.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks everyone!

I changed the transition effect from Website to Crossfade and my site works perfectly.

I would never have solved this without your help.

Thank you!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDH View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    I changed the transition effect from Website to Crossfade and my site works perfectly.
    I would never have solved this without your help.
    Thank you! Steve
    Steve, I am glad you are sorted but even a "Website" will work with other-page anchors.
    I chose the Crossfade Effect as it was the first on the list.
    Do dig a little deeper or offer up a sampler of what you are trying out so we can advise further.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat