Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Page options

Default Page options

In DP+ have 2 documents A4 and A5, printing the latter is successful, then going to the A4 document to print shows page as A5, going to Page Options is still A4, thus ignoring the selection, change Printer to A4 or deleting the A5 displays correctly, is this normal?

Default Re: Page options

what xara prints is not determined by selection

the program prints what is on the print page area [the white box surrounded by the gray pasteboard]

that white box will be the size as set in page options

the settings of your printer itself will affect the result, but do not change the xara settings

does that help ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That is what I expected and knew, I have done 40 years of printing:-) not on printer that has A5 and A4 trays.

As I said when I print my A5 document on A5 paper its OK

When I go to the A4 Document the white area is A5 size the Page Options are A4 it is ignoring that setting.

Delete the A5 document and page reverts to A4.

I am not in the office so cannot take a screen image.

There are PAGE OPTIONS and PRINTER OPTIONS.

As handrawn said, the page options set your DRAWING SIZE, printer options set the PRINT SIZE. If the last thing you printed was A5, then it will default to A5, you need to set the printer itself to A4
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

This has nothing to do with printing only page displays.

I know how to set up PAGE OPTIONS and PRINTER OPTIONS have taught others as sold/supported BBC/Acorn computers for many years.

I usually work on one size only this time was doing a A4 and A5 documents, printed the latter went back to the A4 page was A5 even though the Page Options were A4 the contents overflowed they did not before, I checked many times, then it changed to the correct size as I deleted the A5 I could see as it was happening.

Peter

the only time I can think of where the page area is A5 and the page options shows A4 is

either:

if the 'apply' button has not been pressed on the page options dialog box to confirm the change

or:

you have a document where 'all pages in document the same' has been unticked [lower down on the page options dialog]... which enables you to have pages in the same document of different sizes, such that although your object may be on an A5 page if your mouse is focused on an A4 page that is what the page options dialog will show...

then it changed to the correct size as I deleted the A5 I could see as it was happening.
    it is not clear what you did here - 'deleted the A5' in what way ? - if you deleted an A5 page for example, it may have reverted to an A4 one in the second case above?
    Nothing lasts forever...

I don't think you are following what I said ...

FORGET printing. The Xara desktop display shows ON SCREEN the print boundary as it's set (or was set last) in the PRINTER OPTIONS regardless of the PAGE OPTIONS. Even if you don't print, resetting the printer will change the ON SCREEN display to the current printer settings.

I regularly print to a 36" wide plotter, and if that was the last output device used, then a LETTER sized document will still show a 36" wide print boundary.

I think what you are saying in post#1 IS normal behaviour.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

that's true Keith - when I said:

the settings of your printer itself will affect the result, but do not change the xara settings
    I was not thinking of print boundary, just the print page area
    Nothing lasts forever...

Great thread. I do a newsletter in standard A4. I’ll try to duplicate the problem. Xara sometimes has a tendency to accept changes as defaults.
    Peter, it’s worth opening a ticket wi them.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

I have just joined the thread again since my last post, I did some testing in the office today and found it is the print borders that cause the problem deleted in the A4 document and it displayed correctly.

If I had read the follow ups after my last posting it would have prompted me and saved some time.

Thank you all for helping now on to my next problem:-(

Peter