Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Designer Pro Manual

Hello,
    I have just d/l the latest version of Designer Pro, and noticed that the pdf manual does not have a clickable table of contents? I find it surprising that a program of this stature does not have a manual with a menu that one can access with a simple click. Every other pdf manual I have used certainly has this accessibility. The manual provided in this form is quite useless!

Thanks.

Default Re: Designer Pro Manual

Welcome to TalkGraphics. Good point. Most of us have used the program for a long long time but yes, a good searchable PDF manual should be a given.

That said, in any tool press F1 for a complete listing and explanation of that tool or function. In any menu if there is a help button, press this for context sensitive options for that tool or function.

And in the Help menu you can search for most tools and functions.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics. Good point. Most of us have used the program for a long long time but yes, a good searchable PDF manual should be a given.

That said, in any tool press F1 for a complete listing and explanation of that tool or function. In any menu if there is a help button, press this for context sensitive options for that tool or function.

And in the Help menu you can search for most tools and functions.
    Thanks, I appreciate your reply and helpful tips! Maybe someday a "real" pdf manual will be supplied.

Like Gary I'm a long term user and very rarely require the help files. However try this:

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@jedasa

I have just d/l the latest version of Designer Pro, and noticed that the pdf manual does not have a clickable table of contents?
    Mine does, kind of. Click on the menu button at the top left, just to the left of the page number to turn on/off the menu. It isn't a real menu, though. I'll raise this with Magix.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by jedasa View Post
    The manual provided in this form is quite useless!
    This is not true

I take on board your point that the PDF search facility should be implimented, but if you are serious about learning a program there is no substitute for reading right through the manual making notes and trying things out; ideally in a structured learning environment although i don't think that exists for xara

If you do this it will:

a] show you things you did not know existed
    b] highlight where the manual is out of date

So whilst the manual is not as helpful as it should be for fast access to specific points, it is not useless
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@jedasa

Like Handrawn says, read the manual.

Instead of a ToC in the left column, there are thumbnails. You can quickly find the ToC and then quickly go to the page by putting the page number in the pages box at the top left of the interface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara19 manual ToC wrong2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	131936
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    This is not true

I take on board your point that the PDF search facility should be implimented, but if you are serious about learning a program there is no substitute for reading right through the manual making notes and trying things out; ideally in a structured learning environment although i don't think that exists for xara

If you do this it will:

a] show you things you did not know existed
    b] highlight where the manual is out of date

So whilst the manual is not as helpful as it should be for fast access to specific points, it is not useless
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I have been working with pdf technical manuals for many years. I am aware of the thumbnails, and they are a work-around, though cumbersome.

Handrawn, I appreciate your input, but your view is subjective. I'm glad the manual works for you. However, for me, as it is, the manual is quite useless.

I am not referring to the content; the content is superb.

However, as I mentioned, I have worked with pdf manuals in Industry for many years. It is not acceptable to have a technical pdf manual that is not instantly accessible via clickable links. That is why pdf manuals have replaced physical, full color, hard copies. To use a hard copy would be wonderful; having a manual on one's desk while working with a program has always been beneficial. However, pdf manuals have in many cases replaced physical copies, and throughout Industry fully accessible, searchable, clickable pdf manuals are NOT the exception, but rather the standard.

Have you tried Ctrl+F in the pdf?

@jedasa

respect - but you said the manual was 'useless' and I, being a pendant if you like, as most good technical people are, was pointing out that it is not 'useless'; that is a fact not a point of view

limited in its capability, yes; useless, no

To use a hard copy would be wonderful; having a manual on one's desk while working with a program has always been beneficial.
    if you want a hard copy on your desk, might I suggest you print it out...

pretty soon inflation will be back in double figures, just like it was when I first started reading technical manuals, my that was along time ago....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...