Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Designer Pro Manual

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    I am surprised that Xara has not been able to create a proper pdf manual with a ToC in the left column and hotlinks on page numbers in the ToC of the main document. This is, after all, one of the things that the program should be able to do.
    Yes, this is all I was wondering about in my original post. The various tips and suggestions, as a work-around, are helpful. However, a good pdf manual is something one would expect from Xara and Magix, to complement a very fine software program.

In the first response to my question, gwpriester put it well:

"Good point ... yes, a good searchable PDF manual should be a given."

I am inclined to think in xara's case it comes down to staff resources; they have just recently lost two key members of staff, one of whom was broadly responsible for the help as I understand it; it may be one of those things that just never seems to get done
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@handrawn

I don't understand how it would take extra resources to simply export to pdf using the correct parameters. I did this more than 25 years ago using Acrobat and it was simple. To test, I just created a 2 page document in Xara, put in headings, 3 levels, a ToC, and exported to pdf, adjusted export params, and I got a ToC and thumbnails in the left column, and my ToC in the text has hotlinks to the correct page. No extra effort required.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

thing is John, for somebody to do that simple task they would, in a corporate environment, have to be the person in charge of the manual and it's upkeep and I am not convinced anyone is at the moment; well run companies do not do this sort of thing on the hoof even though if it never gets done it makes them look not so well run...

take matt's link - that is not a PDF manual it an online help manual; xara encourages users with queries to contact them on their site via chat; they have a large social media footprint; this says something about their preferred way to offer support
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Xara are very lucky to have TalkGraphics TGN. Initially years ago I found it searching for some old Corel reference.
    The experts on this board, far too many to mention, deserve a lot more from Xara. Far more. There are so many kinks and twists and turns, previously undiscovered.
    Make sure you bookmark @acorns tip thread. https://www.talkgraphics.com/tags.php?tag=nugget
    Last edited by bwood; 26 April 2022 at 08:05 PM.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.