Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Entering punctuation as text?

Hi Everybody,

I don't know if this is a punctuation issue or not. English grammar is a tool of the colonial oppressors, or the church. Definitely a misdirection perhaps.

I notice that when I enter a text line like "It doesn't matter", that wee apostrophe between the "n" and the "t" isn't represented in the output.
    I get:
    Name:  Screenshot 2022-04-11 181430.gif
Views: 183
Size:  2.7 KB

What do I need to do to correct this?
    Many Thanks,
    -Paul-
    If I wasn't so stupid, I wouldn't have to be so persistent.

Default Re: Entering punctuation as text?

Paul, clearly it is working in your Post so we can assume it is not your keyboard or its driver.

The first question to ask is what font are you using in which Xara product?
    I know, it's two questions.

I would use Microsoft's Character Map UWP to check there is an apostrophe glyph in your chosen font.
    Autumn Regular doesn't have such a beast!

I think it's a plot by the greengrocers / greengrocer's / greengrocers'.

Release
    our Gylph
    !

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You'll find that font doesn't have any symbols. Try to find a similar font that does.

English grammar is a tool of the colonial oppressors, or the church.

My suggestion is the same as Chris's. Make sure whatever font you are using has an apostrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bruneau View Post
    Hi Everybody,

I don't know if this is a punctuation issue or not. English grammar is a tool of the colonial oppressors, or the church. Definitely a misdirection perhaps.

I notice that when I enter a text line like "It doesn't matter", that wee apostrophe between the "n" and the "t" isn't represented in the output.
    I get:
    Name:  Screenshot 2022-04-11 181430.gif
Views: 183
Size:  2.7 KB

What do I need to do to correct this?

Works with ARIEL BL
    ACK
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thank you, everybody, for the time taken for y'all to think over my issue. I appreciate the amazing contributions I see in this forum.

So! I use Web Designer 19 for my projects. I did use the Microsoft Character Map to see if "VALKEN" has the character in the first place. It does, but indicates the character I want to use is
    U-2019, a Right-Single Quotation Mark. The easiest solution is to change the character set that I use to one that does work.

I still wonder why XARA treats a single-quotation character (that's stuffed inside a text object) as an escape character?

Anyway, EASY is always the best choice, and I already have plenty of other things to obsess about.

Thanks again,
    Many Thanks,
    -Paul-
    If I wasn't so stupid, I wouldn't have to be so persistent.

Can you copy and paste it from the character map instead of entering it from the keyboard?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Paul, then it will be the case of Xara converting things with Smart Quotes.

In MS Registry, there is a Key, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePro x64\18\Options\TextTool\UseSmartQuotes, XPro+ is ...\XtremeProSub x64\21\Options\TextToo\...l.
    You can change its value from 1 to 0 when your XDA is closed.

Smart Quotes are change U+0027 to U+2019 for you.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 12 April 2022 at 02:46 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat