Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: PDF import behaving strangely

something has block/corrupted the PDF libraries/routines that xara needs to import/export PDF files would be my guess

do you have other programs that import/export PDF and do they work?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

As FD says it appears your pdf dll's have not imported correctly. This may be due to your Anti Virus software or malware protection program. Try turning them off temporarily and reinstall.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...064#post377064
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    something has block/corrupted the PDF libraries/routines that xara needs to import/export PDF files would be my guess

do you have other programs that import/export PDF and do they work?
    Not that I know of. I checked my Windows Settings > Apps and Adobe Acrobat DC is the only PDF-related application in the list as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    As FD says it appears your pdf dll's have not imported correctly. This may be due to your Anti Virus software or malware protection program. Try turning them off temporarily and reinstall.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...064#post377064
    Here's what I did: I disabled my antivirus. Exited any third party programs that were running in the background. Uninstalled Xara XDP. Then reinstalled it (ran the installation executable as admin). After the install was done, I registered PDFImport.dll as described by steve.ledger (ran the command prompt as admin). Then I ran Xara XDP as admin. Still no PDF import/export
    I also tried doing the same thing in Safe mode, but unfortunately the Windows installer service (or whatever it was called) is not enabled in Safe mode so I could not install XDP.

The fact that you have no PDF down-down entries might means the File Formats XML file is not accessible, damaged or missing.

It should be C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\19\FileFormats.xml
    It would have entries:
    <FilterFormats><ExportFormats><Format Id="303" Name="PDF or PDF/X (*.pdf)"/> since v10 (at least).
    <FilterFormats><ImportFormats><Format Id="304" Name="PDF (*.pdf)"/>.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yup. Both entries are in the XML file

I've not seen this PDF issue before with Pro X18.5 or Pro X19 and have both installed and accessible, but clearly something is AWOL. I would note that if you run Xara in Admin mode, it does not allow you to drag and drop a file from Windows Explorer, the same is true for images too.

Maybe check (and eliminate that ) there are not any hidden issues with Windows 10 integrity, missing or corrupt files. With the Command Prompt App 'Run as Administrator' use 'sfc /scannow'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cmd_sfc_scannow.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	131884

If Windows finds any issues, it will try to fix them; if there are no issues then at least you have confirmed Windows is OK.

Should Windows find any issues, I would run Xara again in Admin mode just once and recheck.

do you have security software that does more than 'just AV' - it is not unknown for some to lock out access even when an install is run in admin mode if they detect a process they consider suspicious
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Works for me in XDP19.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

This whole thing makes me wish there was a verbose logging mode in XDP that lists which errors the program encounters to help people troubleshoot their issues.
    Really do appreciate your efforts to help me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    I've not seen this PDF issue before with Pro X18.5 or Pro X19 and have both installed and accessible, but clearly something is AWOL. I would note that if you run Xara in Admin mode, it does not allow you to drag and drop a file from Windows Explorer, the same is true for images too.

Maybe check (and eliminate that ) there are not any hidden issues with Windows 10 integrity, missing or corrupt files. With the Command Prompt App 'Run as Administrator' use 'sfc /scannow'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cmd_sfc_scannow.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	131884

If Windows finds any issues, it will try to fix them; if there are no issues then at least you have confirmed Windows is OK.

Should Windows find any issues, I would run Xara again in Admin mode just once and recheck.
    I ran sfc /scannow as admin and no issues were found. The PDF import/export still persists while running Xara as admin.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    do you have security software that does more than 'just AV' - it is not unknown for some to lock out access even when an install is run in admin mode if they detect a process they consider suspicious
    You mean programs like Malwarebytes and such running in the background? I don't have them.
    In addition, I found that there's an option to start windows without antivirus running (Start > Power > Shift+Click Restart > it should be the last option in the list) and tried installing XDP in that mode and testing it, but to no avail.