Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Expanding page to fill screeen - Need help for newbie please

Hi there. I need some guidance. I have set my screen widths for the main screen to 1920 x 1080. I have the pages made inside the yellow outline turned on, and I have the pages set to autofit width, but they do not fill up the page when looking on a website preview with higher resolution. I even tried to change the page width to the screen resolution (2048) and my created page was still smaller. The page I created does not seem to expand or shrink with different computer screens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My pages aren't bad for a first timer and I know this software can do much more than I am doing but this page size thing overall is kicking my butt. Thanks for any help you can offer

Default Re: Expanding page to fill screeen - Need help for newbie please

I think many here can help Such as GWP, Acorn, Initiostarr to name a few, but alas not I'
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I don't understand the yellow outline, but, if you mean Scale To Fit Width when you say Autofit Width, then you need to have the 'Maximum' setting higher than 1920.
    Utilities > Web Properties > Export (tab) > Scale To Fit Width (radio button) > Maximum (2048 or above)

Any chance of uploading the .web/.xar for a more informed look?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I don't understand the yellow outline, but, if you mean Scale To Fit Width when you say Autofit Width, then you need to have the 'Maximum' setting higher than 1920.
    Utilities > Web Properties > Export (tab) > Scale To Fit Width (radio button) > Maximum (2048 or above)

Any chance of uploading the .web/.xar for a more informed look?
    Attached is the .web file and a screenshot of the yellow border I speak of. Any look or advice would be greatly appreciated. I will look at the Export tab and see what the setting is. I know it is scale to fit but I think the pix value is 1280, but will check.

While looking at the file if you have any other tips or suggestions please let me know. As I said I am a newbie and know I am not looking or doing everything correctly and need guidance. Thank you a lot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLWPOA calendar page.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	131868  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Littlegiantrme View Post
    Attached is the .web file and a screenshot of the yellow border I speak of. Any look or advice would be greatly appreciated. I will look at the Export tab and see what the setting is. I know it is scale to fit but I think the pix value is 1280, but will check.

While looking at the file if you have any other tips or suggestions please let me know. As I said I am a newbie and know I am not looking or doing everything correctly and need guidance. Thank you a lot!
    Also I was opening that things would scale to size depending on the screen size. I did find the Export Scale to fit but that only fills the screen with my background color, it does not make the text/pictures/objects larger or smaller to fit the screen appropriately. Thank you again

Exclamation Re: Expanding page to fill screeen - Need help for newbie please

Where to begin.

The Yellow edging is showing the Print Border. Window > Show Print Borders.
    The Grey frame is because the printer page setting is considerably smaller than your page.

You have built a small site in a 2048 wide page.
    You have set Scale to Fit width as 1280px.
    This is why nothing is scaling.
    That is why pages are slamming the left browser edge.

You have added a 1920px square background but added a Black 96px Border to a shape that is 3680x2712px with a Bitmap Fill but keeping it 90dpi and size 2048x1884px.
    Remove the border.
    Better, delete it altogether.

Drag the 'pexels' image onto the design.
    Set it Dark Contone to Black and the Create Bitmap Copy.
    Click on this and pick Set as Pasteboard Background.
    You then need to remove these two images off the design, right-click on the Pasteboard and pick Pasteboard background > Fill browser window.

I would kill the rollover you have applied to the NavBar; it is awful.

Having the NavBar at the bottom of the page assumes viewers will be able to see the entire page in the browser. Most will be scrolling to get to the NavBar.
    Move it to the top of the page.
    Don't use a NavBar where a Button will do.

Delete the MouseOn layer; it serves no purpose.
    On the Calendar page, you added a text line that should be on MouseOff.

None of your pages have any cohesion so focus on the good bits of the Home page any copy these through.
    The calendar table is a mish-mash of differing (clashing) colours and fonts.

No download should be 56MB.
    You tell the reader to click on the image but the yellow pointy arrow is downloading too.
    I would get the trial of Xara Designer Pro X and drop the PDF onto it and create a set of Xara pages you can add to this site.

Delete the Variant until you have something to present.
    If you don't, you will be Sharing across needlessly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Littlegiantrme View Post
    Also I was opening that things would scale to size depending on the screen size. I did find the Export Scale to fit but that only fills the screen with my background color, it does not make the text/pictures/objects larger or smaller to fit the screen appropriately. Thank you again
    Thank you very much for your comments, suggestions and really helpful input. I do really appreciate it. I have a lot to learn, and this helps, greatly.

How do I set my editting view to the same size as a 1280 screen per se? I want to use the full screen of a 1280 pixel wide screen so people do not have to scroll right to see it, and want to fill up the screen. RIght now I can see my fixed screen but it is still relatively small. Is there a setting to show that screen size in my editor so I know what bounds to stay within?

Thank you again

It's fairly simple but here are some pointers.

Open a new web template.
    Xara provides white on white with a Page Background rectangle that has no Line width.
    All I do is drag a colour onto the page and another onto the pasteboard. Do them in that order.
    When you add a colour, Xara adds a shadow.
    It doesn't matter at this stage, the colours, for this first page as you can change them anytime before you start creating new pages.

I press Shift+Chrl+P to ensure the design page fits totally in my current view.
    With the Selector too, check the zoom factor percentage. If it is near 100% then this is the size it will appear in a browser (also at 100%).

In Utilities > Options > Page Size, change the page size to 1280W x 1024H pixels.
    Make sure All pages in the document the same is unticked so you can lengthen any page you like.

In Utilities > Web Properties > Export > Scale to fit, set the maximum to 1960px.

Toggle the Ruler on by pressing Ctrl+L or Shift+Ctrl+R.
    Then from the Ruler edges drag and release a number of Guidelines to layout left, right and centre guides.
    Do the same for a menubar, the main heading and a footer.

You can now ceate any number of pages, knowling the layout is well-arranged.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It's fairly simple but here are some pointers.

Open a new web template.
    Xara provides white on white with a Page Background rectangle that has no Line width.
    All I do is drag a colour onto the page and another onto the pasteboard. Do them in that order.
    When you add a colour, Xara adds a shadow.
    It doesn't matter at this stage, the colours, for this first page as you can change them anytime before you start creating new pages.

I press Shift+Chrl+P to ensure the design page fits totally in my current view.
    With the Selector too, check the zoom factor percentage. If it is near 100% then this is the size it will appear in a browser (also at 100%).

In Utilities > Options > Page Size, change the page size to 1280W x 1024H pixels.
    Make sure All pages in the document the same is unticked so you can lengthen any page you like.

In Utilities > Web Properties > Export > Scale to fit, set the maximum to 1960px.

Toggle the Ruler on by pressing Ctrl+L or Shift+Ctrl+R.
    Then from the Ruler edges drag and release a number of Guidelines to layout left, right and centre guides.
    Do the same for a menubar, the main heading and a footer.

You can now ceate any number of pages, knowling the layout is well-arranged.

Acorn

Thank you Acorn for spending the time to look through the site and for you tips and corrections. I do appreciate it and it helps a lot. Thanks again.

Chuck

Chuck, there is a lot going on in any Xara design and by reining back early on you can learn what works without facing a set of knotted string to unravel.

I like historical projects.
    I tried converting your massive History into a set of Xara pages for you.
    Xara coped quite well with 415 pages and still around 65MB.

It probably makes more sense to unpack each of the PDFs in the PDF Portfolio and make each document available for separate download.
    I would suggest creating an abstract of all the content less the images and offer a link to the imaged PDF.
    That way the history text is only 0.5MB.

Do keep the original PDF as as a download too.

Whichever way you go, I wish you well.

Acorn