Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb A pure Xara Blog

A few have enquired as to adding a Blog to a Xara website.

Xara does not do this natively as a Blog requires a backend service and repository on the server or a third party application to handle this as Xara sites are static HTML.

Here is a no cost alternative: http://acorn.xara.hosting/xBlog/
    The details on how it all works are in the Blog itself.

I have rushed a few bits. The DateTime Stamp does work but I changed my mind mid-flight and so it is an almost working version I have published.
    The only other JavaScript is for navigating between Blogs using the Next/Prev Blog controls.
    Everything else is straight Xara.

The idea is a website has an IFRAME that is linked to a Blog.
    Each Blog is a separate Xara design published to a sub-folder, blogs.
    A Blog is published as a 5-digit number (nnnnn.htm); each new blog is the next higher number. I have used 00000.htm as an area to list the published Blogs.

The idea is a designer build the main website and sets up the Blog area on the server.
    The Blogger, who can be the designer, only ever publishes to the blogs folder.
    If the Blogger is your Customer, they need to own an XDA. Xara Web Designer Premium works and it relatively cheap. It need not be updated.

What I want back from you is what you consider makes a Blog (for you).
    If there is a demand, i will try and built it in.

If you use the supplied Template, remember to test it working, you need to Export the landing page (with IFRAME) to a local folder, create a sub-folder called blogs and export the Blogs to there. Just a Preview will not populate the IFRAME.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: A pure Xara Blog

Outstanding. If I were Xara I would put you on a retainer. Sadly I am not Xara. You contribute so much to this product.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Outstanding. If I were Xara I would put you on a retainer. Sadly I am not Xara. You contribute so much to this product.
    I totally agree Acorn.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

This is a great idea. I’m not a website builder but was curious to read through your blog pages. It was slightly above my level of understanding but I did notice on a couple of pages (the first and the last I think) the word ‘blog’ became ‘blob’.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    This is a great idea. I’m not a website builder but was curious to read through your blog pages. It was slightly above my level of understanding but I did notice on a couple of pages (the first and the last I think) the word ‘blog’ became ‘blob’.
    Cheers Jon, corrected.

I've added a new Blog.

My first go at an automatic datetime stamping is a bust as, when it works, it is returning the current time.
    The fallback is to just manually type in the "publish" date.

Acorn

UPDATE - got the automatic datetime stamp to work.
    The new code puts the time in the header and it retains the published date and time properly.
    Last edited by Acorn; 18 March 2022 at 10:03 AM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

How would this work with search engines crawling the blog from the main site? Would the blog pages show up in the site map?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Acorn, How would this work with search engines crawling the blog from the main site? Would the blog pages show up in the site map? Ray
    Ray, very easily but you have the added complication that when you access the blog it is own its own and not wiithn its main website form.

I will therefore have to script a redirect for it.

Acorn

THAT is darn good stuff. Thanks @acorn.
    Since a few of us, women and men are getting a little long in the tooth …

1. Acorn, it’s time to write a book. Do it! Every tip. Everything you know. Do a start up and watch for donations. I’ll contribute.
    2. @gwpriester … Already has some books. How about writing an update. I remember your Corel manuals. I bought Corel because it was Canadian.

I’m forgetting @egg and @initostar. How about something in pdf form.

Since I’m feeling a little sentimental these days on my love of this program, we have to remember all those who contribute to this board. Many work with the program for a living.
    A few are retired (me) and I do things for free.
    We’ll always have the digital, but pdf and books are my way.

Thanks everyone for all you do!
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Great stuff Acorn
    You have helped me numerous times over the years. Your never ending support and innovation is invaluable. Thank you!

Have I seen a picture of you Acorn. I really do want to see who is behind this wonderful person.