Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Free or inexpensice photo editor

I ran into one issue with XnViewMP. The TIFF with alpha transparency I converted from a PNG transparency works fine in Pro+, but when I sent it to my editor who is on Mac the background came in as black. So I think there may be some Mac v Windows issues. Photopea's conversions worked fine.

However, Photopea does not have the ability to create Grayscale images. XnViewMP does have this ability. BUT cannot change modes to CMYK. So, until I have a greater need for something like Affinity, I'll use both.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I ran into one issue with XnViewMP. The TIFF with alpha transparency I converted from a PNG transparency works fine in Pro+, but when I sent it to my editor who is on Mac the background came in as black. So I think there may be some Mac v Windows issues. Photopea's conversions worked fine.

However, Photopea does not have the ability to create Grayscale images. XnViewMP does have this ability. BUT cannot change modes to CMYK. So, until I have a greater need for something like Affinity, I'll use both.

Hi Gary,
    XnViewMP does grey conversation but without alpha transparency. If you write a .tiff look at the compression options, maybe there is the mistake.

I have to ask the question... why does one require a 4k photo editor? What size of device are you viewing over to require such?

I have to ask the question... why does one require a 4k photo editor? What size of device are you viewing over to require such?
    Because the buttons are tiny on my old copy of Photoshop. My eyeballs are bad enough as it is.

If they do not have an option to increase such, and or combined with your computer settings, I am at a loss.. oh my, we are familiar with eyesight and glasses... I have several x powers of such lol. I hope you find your resolve in all of this.

Update: I had to do some serious photo conversions for our Japanese stereogram publisher, 30 CMYK and 30 Grayscale hi res images.

I purchased Affinity Photo and it was worth every penny. I dragged and dropped all 30 RGB color images onto the screen, then one by one File > Export or (Shift + Ctrl + Alt +S) and then Export. Ctrl W to close and move to the next image.

Then I loaded the 30 black and white images and because Designer Pro+ still lacks the most basic ability to export true grayscale, I changed the setting to TIFF Grayscale 16-bit and saved those files.

It was fast and intuitive and took less than 15 minutes.

The final upload folder with the CMYK and Grayscale images was a hair over 300MB which I uploaded to Japan in 3 minutes and 45 seconds.

The Export Settings is so simple and elegant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export settings.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	132150  

affinity has always been worth every penny when it come to serious bitmap editing, and it so far has never come back and asked for more money even after update after update

I dare say xara bitmap editing is fine for web based images, I don't do that so I'm not sure; but you won't regret it gary for the power user stuff
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I don't do much power stuff and all my stereogram elements are created and combined in Xara. I have no problems there. I know how to get done what I need. But our publisher asks us to convert to CMYK and Grayscale.

My partner Gene does the lion's share of his images in Photoshop on the Mac.

I do some things in greyscale - I also appreciate affinity's proofing tools - and I appreciate being able to inport/export much larger pixel size images than xara allows
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Affinity is getting ready to come out with version 2 and there will be a charge to upgrade from the previous version. What version 2 will have in it has not been published that I have seen. How soon before version 2 is released I have not heard but an Email from Affinity makes it look like sometime this coming fall to me. The Beta is finishing up testing now.

Ray