Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Transfer of older XWD X and XWD Premium 17 to new computer

This year will be the year for a new rig. These questions probably for @acorn.

Presently I'm on the Pro+ plan, but I do have the download files for Xara Designer Premium 17 and Xara WD Pro X. The subs for both programs are now over.

I'd like to keep those original programs at the ready just in case.

The question is how to make sure they are transferred to a new rig. Do I simply keep the original download of the files ? Move, then fire up on the new rig? Will that actually work ?

Many Thanks as always,
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Transfer of older XWD X and XWD Premium 17 to new computer

I can answer part of this question. If you simply move the old files to your new computer they probably will not work. Because you also need to transfer the settings. There are many utilities for moving files and settings to a new computer.

I had an image made of my old computer, then restored the image to my new computer. Then after making sure that everything was working, I installed Windows 11 which did a very good job setting up all my existing programs to run under Windows 11.

I purchased a new Dell and they have a utility they sell to transfer files and settings from an old computer to a new computer. Lap Link also sells a utility to do this.

Bill, this is the frustration of the Magix Update Service.
    Once out of it, all you can do is Deactivate from the old machine to download onto te new one with its licence.
    The problem is, you revert to your registered version, not all the (few) updates Xara may have put out in the year.

The trick, although I have never tried, is to create a minimal Windows OS with Xara installed and then make it into a virtual machine (VM).

Why not keep the old rig available and use a VNC product to control the old from the new?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, I see the problem now. I have Pro+. No problem there. As a backup I “could” get the cheapest update to the most recent. But fo course that’s more costly.
    I see the frustration.
    I might try as @gwpriester Gary mentioned and see how much the computer tech I work with can move over. He did mention that some transfer well and others do not.
    Thanks Acorn.
    -W
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I had an image made of my old computer, then restored the image to my new computer. Then after making sure that everything was working, I installed Windows 11 which did a very good job setting up all my existing programs to run under Windows 11.

I purchased a new Dell and they have a utility they sell to transfer files and settings from an old computer to a new computer. Lap Link also sells a utility to do this.
    Did you have any activation issues after the transfer?

Thanks @boy. Just in the midst of building the rig. I don’t have a lot of windows pgms. Word etc, and Xara. The new computer will be used for raw photo adjustment and web work. Affinity photo and Xara primarily.
    Just collecting all info so there’s no surprises.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

I spent many days trying to do that always there was somewhere I couldn't find to deactivate so in frustration I gave up and bought v19.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.